how to drain gas tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to drain gas tank?

My bike has not run for a month and could be another 30 days before I get the parts I need so I guess I better dump the old gas and put in new when I'm ready. What is the easiest/best way to get it all out?

Bike info in sig below

Thanks!

Turn it upside down & shake it... the only way to get it out without taking off the petcock.

Why don't you just add some Stabil to it? That way you won't need to dump it....

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      Turn it upside down & shake it... the only way to get it out without taking off the petcock.

Why don't you just add some Stabil to it? That way you won't need to dump it....

Dan
      I have Seafoam. How much should I put in if I have about 1.5 gallons? Or should I get Stabil?

Comment

I've used some Seafoam before... & I know others have. Follow the directions on the can but I basically just dumped more than enough in when I did it & then ran the bike to make sure any gas in the carbs had some in it. (You could also take the carbs off & drain them or flush them with some carb cleaner if you can't run it but in truth a couple of months won't hurt anyway in my experience).
        I have a friend with a Nighthawk who regularly lets it go 3 or 4 months with nothing (unplanned each time) then dumps some gum out or seafoam in & basically revs the crap out of it for the first 5 miles until the carbs clear out. It is a bit jerky etc. I have done it for him on a couple of occasions.

Dan
        Last edited by salty_monk; 01-04-2010, 02:23 AM.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          I've used some Seafoam before... & I know others have. Follow the directions on the can but I basically just dumped more than enough in when I did it.

Dan
          Yeah, guess it is impossible to put too much, huh?

Comment

Yes... it will just smoke a lot when you start it or just dilute with some fresh gas.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I am the #1 advocate of Seafoam, so IMHO that is the way to go. I use a couple of caps full per full tank during riding season to keep carbs and valves clean. For longer periods of storage like now over winter, I dump in 1/3 to 1/2 a can.

I've been doing this for 5 seasons now and it works well for an easy startup come spring.

No need to dump expensive go juice unless it has really gone skunky.

Cheers,
              spyug

Comment

Working...
              X