1982 GS1100GKZ Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100GKZ Ignition

Well, now that I feel like an idiot. I looked up more information on my bike. It seems that it is indeed an 8valve, but it is an 82, not an 83 as I had thought for whatever reason.

The question I have is this: Does my bike have a mechanical or electronic advance, and how do I find out? I've got an igniter, rectifier and the sig gen as the OBVIOUS parts. But how do I know what/where the mechanical adv or elect adv looks like or is located?

I don't think an 82 will have one. You pull the ignition cover (right side). There you will see the signal generator (crank trigger). The plate with the two transistors on it (where the points would have been on a mechainical ignition bike). If behind it there is a gizmo with a couple of springs on it, that's the advance unit. If there isn't a gizmo like that back there, the advance is built into the igniter.

I have the head off your exact bike on my 1000G.

Comment

See post #13 of your other ignition thread.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I'll tell ya, I considered myself an intelligent man until I started on this project! LOL! Not knowing ANYTHING about this bike, and considering the variations, I couldn't be sure that his answer encompassed the REAL year of my bike, so I wasn't sure if the answer was still accurate. Glad to see that it is. In my manual (Haynes) I'm not so sure it has all the information I'm loking for, nor- (due to the errors that EVEN I have found) do I completely trust it. I'm led into confusion here.

So, never having worked on a bike beyond a carb and tune up (my old 85 Virago 700) I'm in a totally alien environment with lots of questions, trying to understand the language. Please bare with me guys. I really do learn.. I swear I do!

Comment

I suppose my questions are evolving then. If my bike has no mechanical advance, if I were to get one, I could install it behind the sig gen right? how does this interface? connections.. wiring.. springs? Where do I get one? how do I know it will fit? what years? models? BAH!!!! (simulates pulling hair from his balding head!)

Comment

You already have an electronic ignition so you dont need the advancer unless you were going to install a Dyna S after market ignition then you would need to come up with 1. You could try asking in the "parts wanted" thread.
            Good luck

Comment

Why are you so hung up on this ignition thing ? How long have you had this bike ? Is the only problem the bogging ?

I believe the reason the engine is bogging out is because you don't have the stock airbox. Period. It will be much, much easier to setup the bike STOCK and then see where you stand.

Edit:: BTW The '82-'84 GK's are virtually identical.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

OK short story made long. I know that the coil wires aren't replacable and they are seeing some cracking. When I got the bike, it had been sitting up for 2 years in dry storage. After a quick cleaning of the carbs, it ran fair. I noticed there was a high resistance in the stator wire connectors ( too hot to hold them) so I changed the connectors. (not hot anymore- but connections are GOOD... multi multi multi verified this) The stock airbox was beaten up and pieces of the boots cracked as i tried to put it back together so ok.. its bad.. the foam was not even there anymore. The filter was clean but rattled around inside.... not much good there... So I ziptied a doubled over T-shirt to the ports and it ran better with a much more in depth carb cleaning/soaking/rebuild and gaskets. But I've noticed, the headlight dims when I peg the throttle ( odd so I checked the stator. 2 legs alive. one dead. 66% shouldnt be enough to prevent the bike from running well, so I am thinking its electical components. I've got the DynoJet kit on order now, but I'm just not so sure it is going to work. So considering the aging components, I am looking to upgrade them being proactive vice reactive. Or am I looking at this thing the ENTIRELY wrong way? I'm really not trying to be a pest.. I've just got no experience in this realm.

Comment

Your answers are right there. It will run with the carbs restricted a little by a t-shirt, but it's not gonna run very well. The cracked plug wires need to be replaced. Either by digging them out and replacing, or biting the bullet and getting some Dyna coils with replaceable wires. If you have a dead stator leg it's not going to run very well. It will start, and maybe run pretty good (if there were no other problems) on a freshly charged battery, but 2 legs won't keep you charged, so as the battery runs down it will start to run like crap. Get the stator replaced, fix the plug wires, either fix the stock airbox, or put pods on (with the dynojet kit), then see where you stand.

Comment

I guess my next question is, Where do I get the best deals on these parts? lol Not only that, but what coils should I use? I see all these 1.2 ohm, 2, 3, 5 ohm types.. which do I need? And if I buy a Dyna S or Dyna 2K, would the value that I need change then?
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2010, 05:29 PM.

Comment

After a quick cleaning of the carbs, it ran fair
                      More than likely your carbs are dirty, how did you clean them?

Comment

I broke down and rebuilt them again. Broke them down and soaked them in Chemdip, scrubbed everything I could reach, rinsed, and blew them with a nosel in every hole, oraface, hole, nook and cranny I even thought I saw until it was totally dry.

Comment

Originally posted by POE_333 View Post
                          I guess my next question is, Where do I get the best deals on these parts? lol Not only that, but what coils should I use? I see all these 1.2 ohm, 2, 3, 5 ohm types.. which do I need? And if I buy a Dyna S or Dyna 2K, would the value that I need change then?
                          No reason to buy the Dyna S (yet). You already have an electronic ignition. You'd only need to buy it if your igniter is fried (which isn't likley, but possible). You want the green 3 ohm coils.

Comment

Working...
                          X