model ID - huh?

I've checked here: http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_modelchart.htm

and its a GS 400XT

But in my Haynes manual wiring diagrams, my options are:
    GSX400TT
    GSX400EZ
    GSX400ET

?

I am not the definitive expert on the twins, but that sure looks like a 450 to me.

And the lack of a kick starter supports the reasoning that it's newer than a '79. (450s did not start until '80.)

What else do you know about it? There should be some info on the steering neck showing the full serial number and the date of manufacture.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

Where are you getting the "GS400XT" number? From the frame, engine, VIN tag on the steering neck? I don't think many 400s or 425s made it into the US.

The model GSX400ET refers to a 1980 chain drive, 4 valve per cylinder, 400cc GS motorcycle. (This would be my first guess as to your motorcycle.)

The model GSX400EZ refers to a 1982 chain drive, 4 valve per cylinder, 400cc GS motorcycle.
      EDIT: Fixed the model year designation. Z='82. X='81.

The model GSX400TT may refer to a 1980 chain drive, 4 valve per cylinder, 400cc GS motorcycle that's more of a cruiser style, usually with a somewhat stepped seat and rounder tank.

From http://www.suzukicycles.org ...

The "X" in "GSX" refers to the 4 valve per cylinder motor. This distinction was not always made here in the US. The "T" can be confusing because it refers to the model year 1980, but also can refer to the body style. The "E" usually means that it's chain driven as opposed to the "G" which is shaft driven. Here are some links to more info for your perusal...

Lots of good information/pictures here:
      http://www.suzukicycles.org
      Motorcycle Specifications Overviews and Road Tests

http://www.bikez.com
      http://www.bikepics.com/
      http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 01-05-2010, 02:44 PM.

Comment

sorry,
        I should have mentioned that the speedo is in km. It was originally purchased from a dealer in Vancouver, BC so it's a Canadian bike (is that the same as UK?).
        The engine is a 400, no matter how hard I wish it had 50 extra ccs, but the sticker on the top of the fender and under the seat is in French and English and is for both the "GSX 400/450" models

Oops, registration paperwork says its a 1981

It says GSX400 on the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jagir View Post
          sorry,
          I should have mentioned that the speedo is in km. It was originally purchased from a dealer in Vancouver, BC so it's a Canadian bike (is that the same as UK?).
          The engine is a 400, no matter how hard I wish it had 50 extra ccs, but the sticker on the top of the fender and under the seat is in French and English and is for both the "GSX 400/450" models

Just checked the link and it seems that my bike is an E with a painted front fender (not chrome) or an S missing a fairing (which I have since added)

To add to the confusion, The Haynes manual was printed in England.

If I was better with wiring diagrams, I could probably just figure it out meself...

Comment

That's exactly the same as a UK spec GSX400 (ET or EZ depending on year). 4 valves per cylinder and predecessor of the current GS500.

Our 450 had a 2 valve head and was easily identifiable by the round cam cover end caps as opposed to your rectangular ones.
            Last edited by hampshirehog; 01-05-2010, 02:56 PM. Reason: added a bit......
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Jagir View Post

Hi,

It's possible that a 1980 model was first registered in 1981.

I also corrected my post above, i.e. 1980=T, 1981=X, and 1982=Z as it pertains to GS model year designation codes.

A friend of mine (ianfrancisco) has the US version GS450S from 1980. Here's a picture.

Another possible way to distinguish the model year would be from the spoke pattern on the wheels. Your wheels look the same as Ian's bike.

If your paint job/pinstripe pattern on the fuel tank is original, you can check the parts fiche for a matching pattern/paint color. That could tell you exactly what model year. This place has fiches for non-US bikes...

CMS-Parts - Parts fiches for non-US bikes
              CMSNL specializes in Honda Motorcycle Parts, Kawasaki Motorcycle Parts, Yamaha and Suzuki OEM and Aftermarket Motorcycle Parts for Classic Bikes, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Snowmobiles and more

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X