Quick question on the mythical 750 oil pump gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question on the mythical 750 oil pump gear

All the threads only refer to "the 750 oil pump gear". This is the early 80"s (82, 83) GS750 correct? Which I guess would be an "E"? 29 teeth correct?
    Last edited by Guest; 01-06-2010, 04:19 PM.

Moot point now (mostly), I bought it. Billed as an 82 GS750 oil pump plus gear (which is the only part I need). I could count the teeth in the picture and it was 29. $25 shipped, which is about 1/3 the cost of a HD gear from schnitz. If it's not right, that is on the very cheap end of mistakes I've made.

Comment

Yeah, the 29 tooth gear is the one you want. Just remember that you also need its mate that goes behind the clutch hub, with something like 38 teeth if I remember correctly.

Comment

Correct.
        16V (80-82) GS750 pump gears are what you need.

Andrei's also correct - you also need the mating pump-drive gear, located behind the clutch hub.

NOTE - the total number of teeth, on both drive and driven gears combined, MUST BE THE SAME!

Thus, count all the teeth on your 1100 pump gears.
        Then subtract the number of teeth on the 750 pump gear you bought.
        The difference is the number of teeth needed on the required drive gear you need to make it work.

Clear as mud?

Comment

Got it, already found one.

Comment

Originally posted by ronin1166 View Post
            Correct.
            16V (80-82) GS750 pump gears are what you need.
            The 8 valve 750 gears are the same also. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              The 8 valve 750 gears are the same also. Ray.
              Learn something new every day...

Comment

You need to disassemble just about the entire clutch to get to the oil pump gear, right? I'm looking into this mod myself, but will probably hold off until I a few other things done, and start looking at refreshing/improving the clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
                  You need to disassemble just about the entire clutch to get to the oil pump gear, right? I'm looking into this mod myself, but will probably hold off until I a few other things done, and start looking at refreshing/improving the clutch.
                  Yes because it's behind the basket. Mine is going down down to the ground, everything apart, so just swap on reassemble.

Comment

Yeah, the clutch hub has to come off to change the drive gear.

Comment

Working...
                    X