Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb Battery Keeping Voltage question

Hi

I am charging my new battery on the bike with a trickle charger.

After two days it seems to drop from over 12.5v to above 11v.

I am thinking there is a leak somewhere.

Are the posts relating to charging on the GS relate to this type of leak or should I be looking for an open circuit draining the battery?

Well, an open circuit is not going to drain the battery.

You sure you have the connections correct? Let's go for the extreme here, check the charger leads with a voltmeter to make sure the red connector got on the right wire at the factory.

Or it could be that you have a charger that was not designed for use "down under" and the electrons are swirling the other direction.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by indyjoel View Post
      Hi

I am charging my new battery on the bike with a trickle charger.

After two days it seems to drop from over 12.5v to above 11v.....
      "on the bike" as in still connected to the bike? If so, trickle charge it while disconnected from the bike and see if your readings change.

Comment

Originally posted by indyjoel View Post

After two days it seems to drop from over 12.5v to above 11v.

...........?
        Since you are quoting voltage reading I assume you have a volt meter. Does the meter have ability to measure amp (current)?
        If so, charge battery back up.

Then to check for any battery drain (maybe what you ment by "leak"): With ignition key Off. Disconnect the positive cable from battery. Put meter in amp (current) mode, may need to plug meter leads into a different place on the meter. Put positive (red) meter lead to battery + and the negitive (black) meter lead to the battery cable that you took off the battery. SHould be no current flow. If there is, try disconnecting the R/R and see if the current flow goes back to zero.
        Also see if there is any optional things wired in that might have a clock or a back light that is on all the time.

Another test might be to charge up battery and leave disconnected for the same amount of time that you mentioned (a couple days) and check voltage. Maybe its just the battery that has a internal problem (I know you said its a new battery). Or did you have this problem also with the old battery.

Tell us more what you find.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          Another test might be to charge up battery and leave disconnected for the same amount of time that you mentioned (a couple days) and check voltage. Maybe its just the battery that has a internal problem (I know you said its a new battery). Or did you have this problem also with the old battery.

Tell us more what you find.

Yes I would first test the battery separate from the bike; charge it for a while till you see 12.5V at least then put a 12V light (load, like a blinker) across it and See how low the voltage drops it should not go below 12V. If it drops much more than that then battery is bad.

If this is OK then it is the bike drawing down the battery somewhere. With key off the most likely place is the R/R unless you have hooked up some other accessory.

Comment

Parasitic drain

I think everyone is heading you in the right direction and that your battery is probably perfectly fine...(your old one probably was, too!).

I had a similar problem and Jim (Posplayr) was kind enough to help me figure it out. It turned out to be the R/R. As suggested, do the checks that have been mentioned and I'll bet you'll figure it out pretty quickly.

Oh, and be sure to let us know what you find out!
            Last edited by chuckycheese; 01-07-2010, 04:17 PM.
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

HI will try all suggestions tonight when I get home.

1. The bike did not have a battery when it came home.

2. The charger is one I have used previously but not on this bike and battery combo.

3. I will however put a meter across the charger leads to make sure they are working ok

4. I did not think about checking the R/R, will do that tonight.

5. I dont think there are any accessories but will go over the wiring loom to check.

6. I will also charge up the battery again tonight and leave it for two or three days to see what charge it holds.

Could it be draining also due to the fact the bike is difficult to start and when it does not kick over the battery drains and is not able to recover it's charge it used to try and start the bike. (I am awating new cleaned carbs to put on)

Joe

Comment

Working...
              X