What is the options to refinish side covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the options to refinish side covers

I am going to paint the tank and the side covers on my bike, but the chrome on the side covers is scratched up and faded or stained? What are the cheaper options that still look nice, not needing to be stock? Chrome paint? a different colored paint? re chrome ? What have other people done ? I did talk to an automotive paint store and they suggested just a light ruffing up of the paint then spraying with new paint. I can get custom paint mixed up in spray cans for 10 to 12. $ a can. I don't have a compressor big enough to spray paint right now.What are any other options or better ways of doing it? Thanks

You are probably going to hate the result of the spray-can paint on the tank. The problem is there is no catalyst, so the first little spill of gasoline on it will completely wreck the paint job.

Comment

yea, depends on the look you are going for I had my uncle offer to spray a two part clear over my paint but I dont really care that much. I have a half stencilled and half hand painted 80s powell perallta graphics on my tank and figure if I ever sell the next guy will just strip the paint and start over anyways.

Comment

I maybe crap with engines ( following my post?) but I'm decent with paint and have done 4 or 5 jobs over the last few years so I feel qualified to suggest a thing or two.

While I have a full set of guns and a couple of compressors, I would suggest spray bombs are much easier to work with for new painters. Less fuss and muss ( like cleaning guns etc). I have done a couple of jobs like that myself using cans of off the shelf for base coat then topping with urethane 2 part clear coat for that gas resistance.

Contrary to what friend Titan has said, you can get 2 part paints in a can so check with your supplier. These will be urethane paints with a hardner that is injected into the paint just prior to spraying. As he mentions, uncatalysed paints are not resistant to gas so off the shelf stuff is not a good choice unless it is top coated as I mentioned. Note also that clearcoat in cans off the shelf is also not resistant to gas so don't be fooled. You need a urethane with hardner.

Now on the subject of painting a few points:
        1) Preparation is the key if it isn't perfectly smooth it will show when painted.
        2) Surface must be clean as well so always wipe down with mineral spirits or a paint thinner approved for the type of paint you use.
        3)Have all your tools and equipment ready to go before you start.
        4) Do not paint anywhere near to open flame or ignition sources of any kind and obviously don't smoke while doing it.
        5) Always wear an approved mask. The fabric or paper 'hospital" masks are not good enough. They do not filter fine enough. Piant in the lungs can do serious damage.
        6) If new to this, practice first with some scrap metal, plastic or even cardboard. You want to lay the paint down so it looks wet when applied but not wet enough that it runs or sags. Build up coats, lots of light ones.
        7) there are lots more tips and tricks on the Internet so do some research.

When you do it post some pics......we love to see what others do.

Hope this helps.
        Spyug

Comment

Take off the chrome emblems and replace them.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

what about the chrome piece that is part of the side cover, would painting it look good or odd? I don't think it would be cheap to re chrome that part of the side cover. I was going to take the emblems off. Is it very hard to make them look nice. I think they are die cast aluminum, at least the ones on the tank. I haven't taken one off yet.

Comment

The CX500 that's waiting for my attention came to me with side cover emblems painted red. It does not look good. Something vaguely metallic might be tolerable. I'd say, leave them alone and watch eBay for some NOS emblems. You might even get the right ones from PartShark. Watch out for parts getting superseded with new styles.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
              X