Just bought a new non-runner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought a new non-runner...

Picked this up last night for $300 - 1985 GS550E 15K miles.

Pics look better than it is, but overall not that bad.

Was a 1st bike for the PO, been down on the right side at 5mph so the plastic is a bit rough on that side. Missing the rear grab rail.

Came with NIB battery & an additional set of after-market signal lights.

Carbs are gummed, doesn't run, but turns over - ran a year ago...

'85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Real nice find! Looks very purty. Why can't I find a deal like that?!? Good luck and don't forget to update your sig!

Comment

Thanks mike - craigslist is your friend...
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Not that friendly around here. Not exactly a major urban center here in SW VA. VERY few GSes show up at all. For $300 around here I'd expect a rusty frame with no title and only 50% of the other parts lying around

Comment

God bless K&Ns but I wouldn't plaster stickers on my bike.
          Send those gummed up carbs to me. I need dragbike parts!
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If anything showed up on Craigslist around here...
            Renobruce would already be picking it up!

Eric

Comment

I recently looked at a very similar bike about an hour away from me, it was in much worse shape cosmetically. It did run though, sort of. Missing a spark plug, guy still rode it 5 miles to work though!

Needed a paint job real bad, also tires, usual maintenance stuff. Guy wanted $1200.

Nice find indeed. I love the slim, sleek look of that model. Maybe I can find one once I am done with the 650.

What are the plans for it? Complete restoration, customization?
              Keep the pics coming!

Comment

Here in the National Capital of Canada, GS bikes are practically given away. There is an ad up right now for a GS850 - licensed and on the road, but not nice paint. $500 or best offer (means $300). No takers. I bought a disassembled GS850 for parts over the Xmas holidays (no frame/exhaust/engine, but everything else I needed including all perfect bodywork and seat) for $60. I bought a non-running but complete GS1100G for $200 a few months ago for a parts bike, but it is good enough to 'restore' to a nice rider. Yup, plenty of unwanted GS bikes around here.

Comment

[QUOTE=Macguyver;1141047]What are the plans for it? Complete restoration, customization?[QUOTE]

Actually, I was planning on rebuilding the carbs, change all the fluids, valve adjustment, disassembe & clean brake MC & calipers, new tires - basic maintenance to get her road worthy.

Then sell her this Spring when everyone's looking to buy a bike!
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                  X