Removing airbox from bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing airbox from bike

There is no way in hell i am capable to remove the airbox from the frame,I have unmount the intake boot on the cylinderhead but the airbox is still stuck in the frame,its to tight to get it out.Its a GSX 750 ES 1983( GS 750 in the States).Please adwise.There is no luck with the manual either.

You have to remove the carburetors from the engine first. The airbox is also mounted to your battery holder. Remove the brackets holding the battery holder to the airbox and remove the battery holder. It may also be necessary to remove/loosen the mounting plate for your regulator or ignitor to get the battery holder out. Once you have the battery holder removed the airbox will come out of the frame.

Comment

Carbs are removed and also the batteryholder but its still to tight to remove it.

Comment

Spend about a half hour looking at the box with a beer (insert favorite beverage here) in your hand and trust me...it WILL come to you. It is a process of wiggle, twist, shimmy, swear, ease, pry...you get the point.

Comment

I've read here that the airbox will not come out of that model bike without first removing the engine. Most people break the airbox apart to remove it. I recommend keeping the airbox installed the way Mr. Suzuki intended unless you enjoy messing around with carb jetting.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I believe I have read that as well. .. at least you would have to unbolt the engine and tip it forward ?

Comment

I have a 1984 GS 750E - we did get them in Canada that year. Others can chime in and prove me wrong but the air box won't come out unless the engine is removed.
              Even to get the rack of carbs back on the air box needs to be loosened from its moorings in order for it to be pushed back towards the rear of the bike. This allows enough room to wiggle the carbs back on ............and it still is a very tight fit. And just for giggles, let me point out that to move the airbox backwards the battery box needs to come out as well.
              Maybe mriddle is right. Perhaps you can unbolt the engine and tilt it somehow to allow enough clearance. I don't know.
              Nessism makes a very valid point though, unless you plan on spending quite some time sorting out the jetting once the airbox is removed you may be better off leaving well enough alone.

Comment

i have an 83 gs750e also. when i got it the airbox wasnt on the bike. but the pos said he never removed the engine. the airbox is kinda beat up thow. so i dont really know. it is possible to remove it without taking the engine out thow.

Comment

Nessism and jetta90 are right. The airbox won't come out without removing the engine first. I have an 83 70ES and I tried every wriggle & curse I could think of, but in the end I had to remove the engine to get the airbox out. Even then, the airbox tried it's best to keep the engine from being removed.

Comment

Ok,I keep it then.Thanks everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by jetta90 View Post
                      I have a 1984 GS 750E - we did get them in Canada that year. Others can chime in and prove me wrong but the air box won't come out unless the engine is removed.
                      Even to get the rack of carbs back on the air box needs to be loosened from its moorings in order for it to be pushed back towards the rear of the bike. This allows enough room to wiggle the carbs back on ............and it still is a very tight fit. And just for giggles, let me point out that to move the airbox backwards the battery box needs to come out as well.
                      When I was In Toronto I had the GS1100 and my buddy had the 750 back in '83.

Reading all this brought back memories af the time wherein my friend cursing about that airbox. I laughed it off as his mechanical ineptness. Sheesh, now I should call him to apologize for my comments.

Comment

I had to destroy man to get it out, now I wish I hadn't, as I am in need of a stock airbox.

Steve

Comment

Best thing you can do to the "airbox" on those is to destroy it.
                          Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                            Best thing you can do to the "airbox" on those is to destroy it.
                            Why do you have this opinion? I replaced mine with pod filters, but would prefer to attain the milage and low end performance of the stock box.

Steve

Comment

You DON'T have to remove the engine!!!! But you do have to remove all the engine mounting bolts and shift it as far foward as possible.. I had the same (Not stupid) question.. Very stupid design on Suzuki's part. Batt /Yes Carbs / Yes Various other parts yes and don't forget the vasiline... Not jokeing. And just wait untill you go to put it back in!
                              In my case I actually got rid of my Pods and put the stock box back in and the bike runs perfect !!
                              This was on my 1985 GS700ES! You can look up on my Posts/Threads and see where I also had the same issue along with other GS'ers

Comment

Working...
                              X