Buying My First Bike Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying My First Bike Today

I am buying a 80 GS450L today. It is not currently running, but I got it for next to nothing and am going to fix it up with a mechanic friend of mine, hopefully it will be a simple solution! The current owner said its getting a spark and turns over, and he recently cleaned the carbs with no improvement, but doesn't know what else to check.

Do you guys have any good parts sites bookmarked for this bike? Also are there any of you GS guys near Dallas(TX) that could help out if we get stuck?

Thanks
    Brett
    Last edited by Guest; 01-11-2010, 02:59 PM.

The first thing I would recommend is CLEAN THE CARBS.

Yeah, you said that he said that he recently cleaned the carbs. No telling how he cleaned them or how well, so you may as well do them yourself and know for sure.
    Contact GSR member Robert Barr at cycleorings.com to get a set of o-rings for your carbs and intake tubes, too.

Parts sources? Sure:

Alpha Sports
    Babbittsonline
    Bike Bandit
    Carolina Cycle
    Cycle Parts Nation
    CYCLE-RE-CYCLE
    Full throttle
    Motogrid
    MR Cycles
    PartShark
    Partsnmore
    Ron Ayers
    Z1 Enterprises

Be aware that not all of them carry all the things you need, but are good sources for what they do carry.
    Also, some have minimum order amounts, so watch out for them.
    Lastly, if two sources are close in price, check the shipping costs. Some are reasonable, others not so much.

Overall, the consistently good ones are (in no particular order) PartShark, Babbitts and Cycle Parts Nation. I have also used Bike Bandit and Carolina Cycle on more than one occasion with great satisfaction.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Mr. exbellicus,

Good luck with your bike. If you read over your mega-welcome again I'm sure you'll find some more information that might help. Please keep us informed, and show us some pictures!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yep, are some GSR members in Dallas area (south of Dallas I think).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
        X