Jet sizes AAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jet sizes AAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Hi me again......I have to ask here, dealers don't know, or don't want to tell. I have a 77 750, I got a Laser 4 into 1, so after consulting Laser direct, I don't have to modify carbs (??????). Anyhow, I got some nice pods, and want to upjet so does anyone have any idea what sizes. I got some 130's (main) but think this is too big. If I put 115's in is that more realistic, and is it essential to change the pilot jets????? cheers guys

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ight=rejetting

Comment

If I remember correctly, Laser's are pretty benign so they are right - you won't need bigger mains. You might need a tweak on the pilot circuit.

If you're swapping to pods as well no one on here will be able to tell you what will be ideal - your bike is 'unique' and will tell you what it wants itself (do a search on plug chops). Having said that, you will almost certainly have to fit bigger mains and 130s wouldn't be a bad place to start. Again, if I remember correctly, I had 137.5s or 140s on a 750 many moons ago but I've also ran with low 120s on a similar set up to your proposed.

You'll have to dial in the pilot circuit - I bet you won't need to change the jets, just the fuel / air screw settings (as there's loads of adjustment available). Very unlikely you'll have to change the slides (for different cutaways) but you very likely you'll have to raise the needle. I suggest trying position 4 first and working from there. Don't try and adjust the mixture using float height - makes sure that's set to spec and leave it there - trust me, you'll only end up in a pickle.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Daffyd View Post
        Hi me again......I have to ask here, dealers don't know, or don't want to tell.
        Most likely they wont know. you're changing things from the stock condition.

want an educated guess? order the 122.5 and 125.0's. based on previous experiences, I'd start with 122.5's.

order the jets from Z1.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

thanks guys

Hey guys, thanks for the excellent tips...."intelligent tinkering"....this is a quote to remember . I think I will try the 130's, adjust the needle to the 4th and work from there ( and keep the stock setup in case !!!)
          Just a point of interest, somthing I seen on "Top Gear" (English motoring programme, do you see it in US?), US fuel isn't as volatile as the stuff in UK, so does that make a difference???
          And just to confuse matters, I have had to replace my lump, I got a GS750E engine, imported from US !!!! It has never seen rain or salt....boy is that in for a shock on our roads. (it was actually cheaper to get a new engine than do a re-build, I saw piston rings for $200 on e-bay in UK.
          Anyhow,thanks for tips, I'll keep you posted

Comment

One of the first things to do is to realize what STOCK settings were, then adjust from there. My information only goes back to the '78 750, and I know there were some differences from year to year. I don't know if the main jets changed from '77 to '78, but the '78 carbs call for 100s. Following a general rule of thumb for about three, maybe four sizes different for the pods, you would be looking for 107.5 or 110. I think the 130s would be WAAYY to much, but the spark plugs will tell the story. Since you already have 115s, I would start with them and be prepared to go down from there. I know you said the pipe manufacturer says you don't have to re-jet for their pipe, but since the bikes were a bit lean anyway, another size or two for the pipe wouldn't hurt. That would put it right into the range of those 115s.

Oh, you don't have "pilot jets". What you do have are two screws. The one on the bottom is your pilot fuel screw, the one on the side is a pilot air screw. In stock form, the pilot fuel screw is about 5/8 turn out from lightly seated. Most find that it works better to be about 3/4 turn, instead. On a modified engine (pods and/or pipe), maybe 7/8 to a full turn might work. As a starting point, set the air screw to double what the fuel screw is.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Daffyd View Post
              Just a point of interest, somthing I seen on "Top Gear" (English motoring programme, do you see it in US?)
              Yes.
              the programme where they blew up the building with the truck on top of it, was funnier than all get out.

***more posts to look at***
              Last edited by rustybronco; 01-13-2010, 05:00 PM. Reason: ,
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Oh, you don't have "pilot jets".
                Steve - I think you've been doing BS carbs for too long

Item 21 -pilot jet

1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  Steve - I think you've been doing BS carbs for too long

Item 21 -pilot jet
                  Quite possible, so please educate me.

Is item #21 a piece of brass that has a fixed orifice, and is screwed into a fixed position
                  or is it a screw with a taper on the end, which can be adjusted to an infinite number of settings?
                  (It's really hard to tell by that picture and a few others I checked.)

I have always called a device with a fixed orifice a "jet" and the adjustable device a "screw".

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

OK, just spent a few minutes doing some self-education.

Seems that VM carbs have both devices, fixed-orifice jets and adjustable screws.

Found this picture in my 850 manual. Item #2 is the pilot fuel jet , item #3 is the pilot fuel screw.

Last edited by Steve; 01-14-2010, 02:34 PM. Reason: evidently can't count past "2".
                    sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

I knew that's what I replaced!

Yeah, it's fixed and it has a number on it -I went from #15 to #20 and my bike idled much better
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        OK, just spent a few minutes doing some self-education.

Seems that VM carbs have both devices, fixed-orifice jets and adjustable screws.

Found this picture in my 850 manual. Item #2 is the pilot fuel jet , item #2 is the pilot fuel screw.

Steve - you must have had one too many as you've 2 number 2s. I think you must have meant 1 of your #2s to be a #3 - the pilot fuel screw (commonly referred to as just plain old 'fuel screw').
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                          Steve - you must have had one too many as you've 2 number 2s. I think you must have meant 1 of your #2s to be a #3 - the pilot fuel screw (commonly referred to as just plain old 'fuel screw').
                          OK, I'll change it.

I usually proofread every post, somehow that one slipped through.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                          X