No announcement yet.

Project Soon To Start Over...SMH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i did the work. i wanted a cafe look so i had the seat cut down rebuilt the carbs. installed some clip ons and spray painted it just to try to get thru the summer cuz the plan was to strip everything down and paint the frame hunter green with a white tank and green stripe, and powdercoat the rims white while i gave the rest of the components a good once over

Comment

Once again, NICE BIKE.

Too many of them just look chopped up, yours has lines that actually flow.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

im gonna tear into the engine on the bike and see if its somehow savable...if not then im gonna probably modify the frame to accept a newer bigger engine(wire wheels, bandsaw, grinder, angle finder, levels, pipe bender, and mig welder.....i could probably make something happen) i started thinking if im gonna make this a long slow project might as well do some things differently this time.

If anyone has a spare cyl. block im might be interested in it soon depending on the outcome....so keep me in your thoughts

Comment

My opinion on putting late model suspension bits on your bike is that you are going to make it into an ill handling mess.

Manufactures design all of the components to work together. Putting big diameter forks, designed to go on a stiff perimeter style sports bike, on a spindly frame is not going to accomplish what you want. If you want a sports bike buy one. You wont get there from here, at least not on a budget.

The same goes for big tires.

As far as the mono shock rear, try to find something already sorted and use the exact same mounting geometry. It isn't as easy as just bolting one on. Most use rocker/fulcrum point pivots that allow a fairly short "damper" to allow for the same swingarm travel. The geometry HAS to work as designed.

Having said that...if you are building something that is just different and you don't care if it handles, or rides very well then do it. And good luck. I would like to see it whatever you do.

Comment

Originally posted by makr View Post
            My opinion on putting late model suspension bits on your bike is that you are going to make it into an ill handling mess.

Manufactures design all of the components to work together. Putting big diameter forks, designed to go on a stiff perimeter style sports bike, on a spindly frame is not going to accomplish what you want. If you want a sports bike buy one. You wont get there from here, at least not on a budget.

The same goes for big tires.

As far as the mono shock rear, try to find something already sorted and use the exact same mounting geometry. It isn't as easy as just bolting one on. Most use rocker/fulcrum point pivots that allow a fairly short "damper" to allow for the same swingarm travel. The geometry HAS to work as designed.

Having said that...if you are building something that is just different and you don't care if it handles, or rides very well then do it. And good luck. I would like to see it whatever you do.
            I think you need to check out some modded bikes like Isleoman's and PJ's(80GS1000). I think PJ lives near you, I'm sure he could show you how well updated suspension works
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              I think you need to check out some modded bikes like Isleoman's and PJ's(80GS1000). I think PJ lives near you, I'm sure he could show you how well updated suspension works

I have seen. I stand by what I say.

Comment

i've been doing my research trying to decide what my best option is at this point. I would buy another bike but its just simply not in my future plans at this point. I've been looking into the new Kawasaki Z1000 and even called the dealer who i do all my business with about it. If I went this route I still wouldn't buy it until this upcoming winter. new bike would run me 8600 because customer loyalty where as i would probably on spend 2800 getting this one to where i want it to be.....rideable i'll be thinking about what i want to do more tonight. I might just chop it up and toss it because my uncle has a GS1100 thats now a 1300 that hes had since i was little and hes selling it cheap. I should have an idea of what to do later...just have to clear my head

Comment

Working...
                X