1980 gs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs1000

My #2 and #3 cylenders are going dead off and on. It has an electronic ignition, no points can someone tell me the most likely thing that could make this happen. They seem to be going off at the same time and back on...... Every time I think I'm done something else happens.
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Have you replaced the coil?
    Checked the connection on the #2 and #3 coil?
    Is the igniter good?
    I would start with the coil. Swap coils and see if the same happens to the #1 and #4
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

coils

I unplugged the right coil lead and plugged it into the left and left into right. No spark anywhere, doe's that sound right?. I switch them back and it had spark again. It started right up and ran like new. When riding down the road the 2 and 3 cylinders drop out and pop back in like a switch is being flipped off and on.
      [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

You need to make sure that you have 12 ish volts at the small plug for the coils.
        It sounds like you have a rooted coil pack though....

Comment

If you switched the connections going into the coils (under the tank) and you lost all spark there is something else going on. You should of just reversed the problem from 2&3 to 1&4.
          Got a manual? Check the signal generator at the crank and the igniter.
          Last edited by chef1366; 01-14-2010, 05:21 PM.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

might want to check for a bad ground too and or a loose connection that is rattling and causing your problem as you go down the road

Comment

Igniter ? I have a manual

I don't remember checking the igniter. I guess I had spark to everything so I assumed it was good. I did check the Sig. generator it was good. But, yep if I switch the wire plugs from the wire loom to the plugs on the coil under the tank I get no spark anywhere. Switched back and its fine. But I have not ridden farther than around the block a few times.
              [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Working...
              X