'82 GS750E cold-start difficulty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS750E cold-start difficulty

When the weather is below say, 70 degrees Fahrenheit, my 1982 GS750E (all stock except for V&H header, K&N filters, and new jets) "doesn't want" to start. (Full-choke, hit start button, crack throttle). Put it in the sun, and it'll start right up, no problem. Any ideas?

Full disclosure: My DAD called me about this problem w/ my old bike, which he still rides. So I'm using his description of both the problem and the starting technique.

Thanks much for any feedback.

On my GS 750 I began to have trouble starting it when the weather was turning colder. That was just a coincidence. The problem with the hard starting was the vacuum line to the carb had a very small leak and was not allowing fuel to flow to the carbs. After I found that and fixed it the bike started right up.

Comment

Trouble starting

I have an '82 GS 750 and I found that if I dare touch the throttle it will never start, hot or cold, I got the idea that if it was a hard cold starter it had to do with valve adjustment.Good luck dude! Just put it on choke.

Comment

Welcome !!!

Adjust the valves.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
          Welcome !!!

Adjust the valves.
          And don't crack the throttle.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Definitely check and adjust valves and do the coil relay mod.

With the old wiring and likely corroded connections the coils aren't getting full voltage. This will change things dramatically..at least it did for me.

Odd that it will start when allowed to sit in the sun and I don't have any idea why that would be. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has a theory.

Welcome aboard by the way.

Cheers,
            spyug

Comment

Working...
            X