Search thread not answering this question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search thread not answering this question

I have been working on my winter project.. Its a 78 GS 750 E with VM26 carbs. Yesterday i started it and let it warm up well so i could do some charging sytem checks. Idled and purred like a kitten no problem. Today i started it because my neighbor wanted to hear it run and the #1 and #2 carbs are now leaking out the airbox side of the carb throats. The tank has been coated so i know there hasnt been anything sucked up from the tank. I am suspecting that the floats had stuck and took a ratchet handle and gently tapped on the bowls a bit to see if that changed anything and to no avail. Any suggestions??
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

You have a couple of stuck floats chuck. Time to pull the carbs.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thats what i had suspected.. Will pull the carbs and open up the two bowls and see whats going on.. Is it a good idea to gently blow some compressed air back through the float channels??
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

A leak could be several things.
        Sometimes a bit of grit or ? will stop one or more float valve needles from sealing. A coated tank doesn't mean something couldn't get through.
        Float valves can develop small burrs on their sides. Their springs can get weak or the tip wears down/grooves. The float valve seat may need a new gasket. The float can stick or need adjustment.
        Sometimes part of the problem is a defective vacuum petcock.
        With short tools you can access the bowl screws and check things out and do a partial cleaning/flush if you like. Takes a little finger dexterity to re-install valves and floats but if you know how it beats taking the carbs off (unless you think you need to do a thorough inspection/cleaning.) Bowl gaskets may need replacing when disturbed.
        Replace any stock Phillips bowl screws with Allen type.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Well guys its not good news to report..None of the floats were stuck but when i took the bowls off the two offending carbs it wasnt pretty. First whoever was in these carbs before i inherited it just used silicone and the old bowl gaskets. Secondly there is scale all over around the chole pickup tubes and its a sure thing everything else is gunked up too. So it will be a full tear down and soaking in the berry juice. Thank god its winter and we cot a few months to get this beast all shook down and debuggered..

Comment

Working...
          X