secondary or final drive whine during decelaration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

secondary or final drive whine during decelaration

I recently took my 1982 GS 1100 on a 2000 mile ride in 4 days and the bike ran like a top. In preparation of the ride I replaced all the fluids with synthetic lube and fixed or replaced anything I thought would give me any problems. After the trip the bike sat for a few weeks before I rode it again but when I did I noticed a very noticable whine I think in the final drive when you back off there is no clatter or noise during accelaration just when you back off. I would appreciate any help you could give me. I have ownded the bike for 15 year but it only has about 20,000 miles on it and I have never heard any noise from the final drive Is this common as a shaft drive gets older?

It may take a while, but search the old posts in here. There were a few discussions about noisy final drives (I got great help here with a similar problem) and you may spot some similar symptoms to your bike.

One thought: if it's the final drive, I'd have thought the noise more likely to appear under acceleration when all the gears are under load? Could the noise on your bike be a worn and rattling clutch?

Comment

When you say "final drive" do you mean shaft drive? If so, did you grease the splines inside the wheel? It needs a good coating of moly grease in here every year or so.

Or does "final drive" mean the counter-shaft sprocket for the chain? If it is a chain drive you might be getting some chain noise. Once again, lube the chain and check it for correct tension.

Kim

Comment

I have a 82 GS850 (shaft) with the same problem. It started about one day after I changed the final gear oil. Not clutch, not chain. Only on deceleration.

Comment

Working...
        X