$1.50 airbox hoses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$1.50 airbox hoses.

Well as I mentioned in another thread, airbox hoses are on back order with an unknown ETA. As I'm impatient and wanting to get the carbs synched I started to think about alternatives.

Pods were my first thought but very cost prohibitive for K&Ns. I have in the past used cheaper ones but could never get them to work right as they are usually not restrictive enough. I did have more success on my XS with Unipods but at $100 for a set well I'll give those a pass for now.

When I pulled out one of the original hard ones and measured it up I got to thinking that a rubber hose of the right dimensions might work so I started looking around. After a few trips to diffferent stores I found a suitable rad hose in Carquest ( part number 21379).

I cut the hose to the length of the stockers and as the OD is slightly larger than the airbox holes had to wiggle it in abit. They fit very securely.
    The ID is also a tad smaller than the mouth of the carb so that end too fits tight on the carb.

Originally I had placed the spring retainers from the stockers inside the tubes to hold them tighter to the box but this wasn't necessary and I actually had to remove them in order to mount the setup to the carbs. The only way to get it on was to put hoses on the carbs first then push the airbox onto the hoses.

When the carbs are mounted on the engine and airbox bolted to the frame it will be a very secure fit. Have a look:

The finished setup:

Comment

My apologies for the size of the pics. I always forget to resize them before posting.

In a further "episode " on this subject I'll show what I came up with for the missing filter box.

These may not be "kosher" and I know this will upset the purists in the group but necessity is the mother of invention and as you all know by now....I love to save money.

cheers all,
      Spyug

Comment

Looks good!
        It's weird seeing non-EPA idle mixture screws.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Awesome. Looks like you did a great job cutting the hose straight. That can be a bear to do on a large hose like that. Now take the money you saved and have a cold adult beverage!

Comment

I'm glad you posted this. I saw some flexible drain hose at the hardware store and thought the same thing you did. Now I think I will definitely give it a go. Thanks.
            -Theo

Comment

Good luck getting them on the bike
              I got so mad yesterday I was thinking of removing the box with a chainsaw

Comment

Many thanks guys.

Cutting the hose is easiest I found if you use a fine tooth saw and squish the tube as you're cutting it. A couple of C clamps on either side of the cut line can help. You can also smooth up the ends on a belt sander.

I'm quite happy with the fit as it is tight on both ends. I don't think I'll even need a clamp on the carb side. When I had the tubes in the airbox I poured some water around them and I didn't see any dripping into the box so I'm thinking I have an airtight seal. I might put a bead of silicon around just in case.

If I can , after supper, I'll pop them on and see how it goes together. I'm anxious to get this finished so i can try out my Carbtune.

Cheers,
                Spyug

Comment

The only downside to the fix is the fact that coolant hoses of any sort (except the plastic ones for overflow to a tank) don't handle fuel vapors well. Eventually the rubber will get slimey and deteriorate from the fumes that waft back through the carbs when you shut down.
                  I'm planning on buying silicone hoses like I used on my turbo (much smaller though) for my motorhome. It won't take much and will probably cost less than $20.00. Plus, I can get them in pretty colors or black if I want. They don't deteriorate or harden due to heat and fuel.

Comment

Well that didn't work so back to the drawing board.

Well Mr. Gearhead was absolutely correctomundo. There is no way in hell that setup is going back in the frame. There is just not enough wiggle room, even with the airbox put in first.

So back to the drawing board and I guess it might be pods afterall if I can't get stock hoses.

Bummer, more time wasted.

Sorry if I got anyones hopes up.

Spyug

Comment

The easiest way to install the airbox with the hoses is to assemble the whole works (aiirbox,carbs and intake boots) together off the bike. Put the entire assembly in the frame, put in the screws for the intake boots first, then the airbox screws. The biggest pain of this is the cables and small hoses, but it's much easier than fighting airbox boots.

Comment

I sold my airbox on Ebay before I threw it as far as I could.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          I sold my airbox on Ebay before I threw it as far as I could.
                          I love airboxes.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I would bet if you shortened them 1/4" they would go on !! Good job. Maybe cross the pn to a silicon hose?

Comment

I might try and shorten things up but I don't think it will change much as there really is no room to manouever and it was difficult enough getting the hoses in with the carbs and box off and on the bench. Takes a bit of persuasion.

I do have an idea for a "Mark2" version along the lines of a big pod filter covering the four carbs. Kind of like the airfilters that used to be available for cars with triple carbs..a stretched oval as it were. I can make the connector plates out of heat formed ABS and I'll be off to the hardware store for some filter foam tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

Cheers,
                              Spyug

Comment

Working...
                              X