Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starter Clutch not ingaging on GS1100!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Clutch not ingaging on GS1100!!!

My 82 GS1100gk will not start. the starter motor will turn over but the actuall engine will not. Im thinkin the starter clutch is not engagin to the crank. But other than that i have no idea. Any info will be great thanks

Seems you have already figured it out for yourself. Pull the cover & take a look.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I had that problem

1980 GS1000 I didn't have the bolt torqed down that screws into the end of the crank. It holds on that bell looking thing with the magnets the stator goes into. The starter would spin but not engadge and turn the engine. After the bolt was cranked down to spec. No more problem.
      [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
      Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

thanks alot of the info i torqued down the bolt and it is still slippin. Like sometimes the clutch will grab just for a split second and then let go. So im goin to pull of the rotor assembly. Any info on how to get that assembly off after the bolt has been takin off

Comment

Originally posted by 82GS1100e View Post
          thanks alot of the info i torqued down the bolt and it is still slippin. Like sometimes the clutch will grab just for a split second and then let go. So im goin to pull of the rotor assembly. Any info on how to get that assembly off after the bolt has been takin off
          The use of a proper puller (check your service manual for particulars on your bike) is MANDTORY.

Whatever you do, DO NOT HIT THE ROTOR WITH A HAMMER, you WILL damage it beyond any hope of repair.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks for the info do u know where i can get one of those. or can i just use a pulley puller like for a car to get it off.

Comment

Different Suzuki models use different pullers. Look in your manual to see what your bike needs.

In most cases, a typical automotive pulley puller will not work.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just looking into this for my own interest.

82 GK starter clutch (starter motor itself not shown)

Last edited by Redman; 01-20-2010, 04:45 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Different Suzuki models use different pullers. Look in your manual to see what your bike needs.

In most cases, a typical automotive pulley puller will not work.

When I first read that I thought I saw,

"Different Suzuki Models use different PLYERS" (reference other thread)

Comment

If the rotor is spinning you won't need a puller unless of course the starter clutch itself is fraggled.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

+1 What Steve said. An impact gun will make your life a LOT easier when removing and installing your new clutch. This is one area that I can say from experience, just bite the bullet and buy a new unit. If it's a starter clutch, your bolts most likely have sheared and one or more of the rollers is probably scored.You can buy a kit to replace the rollers and springs, etc etc and you will be taking it apart again to put the new assembly in. How do I know this??? By doing mine twice with the kits

Comment

thanks bro for the info. Were would i be able to buy a kit. Do u know of any websites that u would prefer?

Comment

Originally posted by Can_O_Tuna View Post
                          +1 What Steve said. An impact gun will make your life a LOT easier when removing and installing your new clutch. This is one area that I can say from experience, just bite the bullet and buy a new unit. If it's a starter clutch, your bolts most likely have sheared and one or more of the rollers is probably scored.You can buy a kit to replace the rollers and springs, etc etc and you will be taking it apart again to put the new assembly in. How do I know this??? By doing mine twice with the kits
                          The kit will not do much good if the main roller area on the big gear is warn. I just replace the whole starter clutch as a unit (#4 in the diagram).

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                            The kit will not do much good if the main roller area on the big gear is warn. I just replace the whole starter clutch as a unit (#4 in the diagram).
                            Yeah... I had to learn that the hard way....plus it was $10 vs $182....

82E save your time and buy the new starter clutch. When I did mine there were guys saying you could weld things...etc.

here is the advice I got

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              If the rotor is spinning you won't need a puller unless of course the starter clutch itself is fraggled.
                              He says from experience!!!

If it hasn't destructed itself, you can clean up the shaft and rotor interior and bolt it back on. Both Chef and Kent had theirs go bad on the same day at the Shasta rally. They fixed them roadside, then did a better repair back at camp.

Be sure to torque it back on correctly!!

Watch out for the idler gear washers when you pull the cover off. I recommend putting the bike in gear and leaning it against a wall so the left side is up and pull the cover.
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X