help diagnosing starting problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help diagnosing starting problem?

hey all - i've got a 1980 gs850g and trouble starting it. Trouble started back in early November. I was noticing the bike was having trouble starting, and attributed it to a dying battery. So I bought a new battery, installed it and all seemed fine for a couple of weeks.

One day, went out, bike wouldn't start. Again, seemed like the battery was flat. So I put it on the charger and took the bike out. Went on one errand without trouble. Stopped at the store, when I came back, the bike wouldn't start again. And, again, it was as though the battery didn't have the kick to get it going.

Took the battery home, charged it, went back and installed it and the bike started right up and I took it home. By then I figured I had a problem so I didn't ride the bike for awhile thinking I'd work on it over the winter. Then I got a new job and never had time to go work on my bike.

Then, a couple of times in December I went out and the bike started without any trouble. I thought maybe my connections to the battery terminals had been loose prior to my last re-installation of the battery, and that the problem had been resolved.

Yesterday, we had a sunny January day. So I took the bike out. It started right up with no trouble. Took a 10 minute ride to one errand, then went on a long ride, did some parking lot figure 8s just to work out the rust in my riding skills. I got home about an hour later.

Parked the bike then, within 5 minutes, tried to start it to put it in the garage, and the bike wouldn't start. Once more, it was just as though the battery didn't have enough power to kick it over.

I am TERRIBLE with diagnostics, so basically I'm wondering if anyone can suggest where I should start and what I should test.

My guess is that this is an electrical issue. I have read through the stator papers, but haven't yet dug into looking at the generator and such. Is that the obvious first step?

My confusion is that this problem seems to crop up once the bike gets hot, so I thought perhaps there might be something else going on.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Oops. Gotta go take care of a crying baby now!

Today 11:02 AM oldgsfan help diagnosing starting problem?
    My guess is that this is an electrical issue. I have read through the stator papers, but haven't yet dug into looking at the generator and such. Is that the obvious first step?
    Here is what I would recommend

Tools needed, multimeter, contact cleaner, dielectric grease

#1 If you have not done it yet, clean and inspect the ENTIRE wiring harness, including all plug/bullet/spade connections, wiring for heat damage, and especially the grounds. If your harness & grounds are not clean your test results might not be accurate and you could end up buying expensive parts (Stator & R/R) you do not actually need. While not noted as the best electrical system most GS charging issues start or are from bad wiring connections.

#2 Verify your battery is OK even though it is new.

#3 Test your charging system with the Stator Papers., if you are unsure on the results you get post them and many here will help you.
    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
    AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Does the starter spin the motor over freely or no? An engine that spins but the bike doesn't start is one problem, but if the engine won't start because the starter doesn't turn, or doesn't turn fast enough, is a different problem.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
        Here is what I would recommend

Tools needed, multimeter, contact cleaner, dielectric grease

#1 If you have not done it yet, clean and inspect the ENTIRE wiring harness, including all plug/bullet/spade connections, wiring for heat damage, and especially the grounds. If your harness & grounds are not clean your test results might not be accurate and you could end up buying expensive parts (Stator & R/R) you do not actually need. While not noted as the best electrical system most GS charging issues start or are from bad wiring connections.

#2 Verify your battery is OK even though it is new.

#3 Test your charging system with the Stator Papers., if you are unsure on the results you get post them and many here will help you.
        OK, I verified the battery is good. I took it in to the shop where I bought and had it tested.

I have not inspected the entire wiring harness and, I must admit, the wiring on my bike is a bit of a mess. A previous owner did some goofy stuff with the headlamp, got all sorts of wires mixed up. When I tried to straighten some of it out, I got wires crossed. At the present time, my starter button doesn't work. In order to start my bike, I have to turn on the right turn signal to activate the starter. I know, I know. I'm ashamed.

I'm really pretty awful in the garage but it looks like getting my electrical system in shape is my next project.
        Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I have a good stator if you need one.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgsfan View Post
            A previous owner did some goofy stuff with the headlamp, got all sorts of wires mixed up. ... At the present time, my starter button doesn't work. In order to start my bike, I have to turn on the right turn signal to activate the starter. ... it looks like getting my electrical system in shape is my next project.
            If you knew the wiring was a problem, why did you even try anything else before making sure it was right?

Just out of curiosity, do you have to press the starter button to use the right turn signal?

By the way, "previous owner" and "goofy stuff" are used interchangeably on this forum.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Also, if you are confused about wiring and I know I am. Go to the search feature here and find several threads on wiring . Then if you get confused or stuck many here are way to happy to help. BTW, what brand is your battery, just curious.

Comment

Do you have a clymer's guide for it? Highly recommended, the wiring diagram has been pretty helpful for me.

Comment

+1 on voltage check

When I had suspect charging system (and as a matter of paranoia since even with 100% working charging system) I almost always pop off side cover and check battery charge level before setting off. If low - first you have time to charge it before setting off, and -second, you'll know if you have a problem before you get stranded someplace.

Sorry, had a chuckle with the 'engage turn signal to start'

But my 650 does NOT have self-cancelling signals. Is turning the turn-signal off the equivilent of hitting the 'kill' switch? If so, you may be constantly engaging the starter 100% of the time which could be a drain on the battery.

Just a thought....

Comment

Just a quick thanks for all the advice. Turns out it was the stator. And, yes, the wiring is all squared away now. Still, got so used to hand signals it feels weird to use turn signals again.

Comment

Working...
                    X