My Semi Annual Super Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Semi Annual Super Post

Alright everyone. I don't pester yall too much, but i need some help today. I have quite a few questions, so please bear with me. I have searched around a lot, but I mostly found generalizations.

1. Electrical

My front brake switch is done for. (tried resoldering, cleaning, fixing...no luck)
    Whats recommended for replacement? I am familiar with the brake fluid pressure switch, but if there is another option I would much prefer that.

My killswitch has been messed up and bypassed for awhile, but i really need to get it working again. I have seen several universal all in one 7/8 switch housing replacements and was wondering if anyone has any experience using these? I figure new electronics are better than old. Im also not looking to spend a fortune.

2. Fuel

The fuel inlet T that feeds all the carbs leaks. If memory serves me correctly there are four non removable o rings on the T. Is a replacement available?

3. Frame

I am quite a perfectionist. Therefore I always worry about things i cant see, such as the steering stem bearing, swingarm bearing and wheel bearings. Everything seems to be fine ( no lateral movement on steering stem or wheel bearings) but is there any sort of check or inspection interval that needs to be adhered to regarding these?

I noticed the side panel and battery strap rubber is dry rotting a little bit. Is there any product that preserves or reconditions rubber?

I read somewhere that in 83 the shafty 1100s switched to rubber motor mounts. I have an 82 and was wondering if a rubber mount upgrade was possible.

Any recommendations on after market mirrors that are better dampened? The ones i have are cheap plastic and need to be trashed asap.

Same with Grips, they are cheap and send vibrations straight up my arms. Any favorite replacements? I like fatter ones too.

I will probably think of more to add.. HA.

I'll just insert my comments in blue.

Alright everyone. I don't pester yall too much, but i need some help today. I have quite a few questions, so please bear with me. I have searched around a lot, but I mostly found generalizations.

1. Electrical

My front brake switch is done for. (tried resoldering, cleaning, fixing...no luck)
    Whats recommended for replacement? I am familiar with the brake fluid pressure switch, but if there is another option I would much prefer that.
    You can get a stock replacement for less than $20.

My killswitch has been messed up and bypassed for awhile, but i really need to get it working again. I have seen several universal all in one 7/8 switch housing replacements and was wondering if anyone has any experience using these? I figure new electronics are better than old. Im also not looking to spend a fortune.
    Depending on your definition of "fortune", a new one is less than $60. Used ones are available on eBay, but you will take your chances on condition.

2. Fuel

The fuel inlet T that feeds all the carbs leaks. If memory serves me correctly there are four non removable o rings on the T. Is a replacement available?
    A new one is about $20, but you can wrap a few layers of Teflon tape over the arms to stop the leak.

3. Frame

I am quite a perfectionist. Therefore I always worry about things i cant see, such as the steering stem bearing, swingarm bearing and wheel bearings. Everything seems to be fine ( no lateral movement on steering stem or wheel bearings) but is there any sort of check or inspection interval that needs to be adhered to regarding these?
    Not sure about a set interval, but I check them every time I change the tires. I am already working on the frame, so I just chek it all.

I noticed the side panel and battery strap rubber is dry rotting a little bit. Is there any product that preserves or reconditions rubber?
    Yes, such a product extists. It's called CASH. The battery strap is a whopping $2. The grommets to hold the side panels are about $1.50 each.

I read somewhere that in 83 the shafty 1100s switched to rubber motor mounts. I have an 82 and was wondering if a rubber mount upgrade was possible.
    That's a new one on me. I have not known of any rubber mounts for GS bikes.

Any recommendations on after market mirrors that are better dampened? The ones i have are cheap plastic and need to be trashed asap.
    New mirrors are $56 each, and aftermarket mirrors are a personal choice item. Find some that have a size and shape that you can live with.

Same with Grips, they are cheap and send vibrations straight up my arms. Any favorite replacements? I like fatter ones too.
    I have not had to purchase any lately, so I will leave this one alone.

I will probably think of more to add.. HA
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

you may find that asking many questions in one thread might get confusing and works better if theres only one question per thread

anyhow, the back rubber mounts are integral to the frame brackets so the upgrade is possible.
      however, the front mounts seem to be inserts into the casing (by looking at them on my spare bike - i havent taken them out yet) so those could not be retrofited
      GS850GT

Comment

i have the front brake switch and killswitch from my 81 850g. both in working order. lemme know if you want them. ill get rid of them cheap

Comment

I think I have a good fuel T
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Just had a look at my 2 1100G cases. The '83 is fitted with rubber shock mounts. They are recessed into the case mounts. I removed mine ready for a chem clean job.

You would need to machine your '82 mounts to accept the later model rubber shocks. Could be done, but how much vibration are you getting?
            The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
              They are recessed into the case mounts.

You would need to machine your '82 mounts to accept the later model rubber shocks.
              so, the cases on 83 are not overall enlarged at where the mounting rod/bolt goes through but the same like 82 just drilled wider at the ends where the rubbers fit?
              GS850GT

Comment

Just had a look at my 2 1100G cases. The '83 is fitted with rubber shock mounts. They are recessed into the case mounts. I removed mine ready for a chem clean job.

You would need to machine your '82 mounts to accept the later model rubber shocks. Could be done, but how much vibration are you getting?
                Well i dont figure the vibration is anything out of the ordinary, but after riding my dad's new ST1300 it really brings the vibrations to light...Hmm i think this upgrade will probably be a future project.

Comment

Originally posted by lordcannon88 View Post
                  Well i dont figure the vibration is anything out of the ordinary, but after riding my dad's new ST1300 it really brings the vibrations to light...Hmm i think this upgrade will probably be a future project.
                  Hard to compare smoothness when you are talking about different engine designs.

I think about the only thing smoother than an ST1300 is a six-cylinder Wing. Now those I can compare, I have ridden both.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                    so, the cases on 83 are not overall enlarged at where the mounting rod/bolt goes through but the same like 82 just drilled wider at the ends where the rubbers fit?
                    Psy, I've just checked again and yes you could machine the '82 cases to fit the rubber mounts. The casing bosses are the same diameter leaving ample support.
                    The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

cheers 49er
                      GS850GT

Comment

Psy, I've just checked again and yes you could machine the '82 cases to fit the rubber mounts. The casing bosses are the same diameter leaving ample support.
                        This is good to know. I need to start logging this stuff. haha. basically what i'm aiming to do is modernize and make my 1100 as modern and good a handling and feeling as possible. I simply do not like the look of modern bikes. UJMs IMO are what a motorcycle should look like. No hunched over forward riding angles, but at the same time no clamshell forward control business. Just simple straight up riding with a real motor under me. No VTwin business either.

Comment

Working...
                        X