Accel vs Dyna coils.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accel vs Dyna coils.

Whats best Accel 140403 or the Dyna DC1-1?

Electrically, they should be nearly identical.

Color should not matter, they won't be seen under the tank.

The Dyna coils have angled towers, might make wiring a bit easier.

Price would depend on what's available in your area.

I have not experienced Dyna coils, although they are very popular here, but I do have Accel coils on two of the three 850s in my stable.
    I can't tell that they work any better than the stock coils on the third bike, but I did not have much choice, they came with the bikes.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Same Sh!t
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Same Sh!t
        The Accels are "prettier" and probably fit easier?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          The Accels are "prettier" and probably fit easier?
          I think the Accels are a tad bigger, so Dyna may actually fit easier.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
            I think the Accels are a tad bigger, so Dyna may actually fit easier.
            Bill said he had a bear of a time getting a set of Dynas to fit on his L. I have a bare set and not sure how they will mount.
            OK found they are supposed to be mounted to the through bar. Does it match the stock Frame mount? Anybody know?

MOUNTING: STANDARD DYNA STYLE STEEL BAR THRU CENTER OF COIL
            The Accels I have came with a mounting kit installed. It is tight but they fit nicely once in.

Plus Yellow is much racier than "green"
            Last edited by posplayr; 01-25-2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

...Plus Yellow is much racier than "green"
              Only if it shows.

Build it so it's reliable, you won't have to take the tank off.
              If you don't take the tank off, you can't clean the dust that accumulates, they will both end up dust-colored.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Bill said he had a bear of a time getting a set of Dynas to fit on his L. I have a bare set and not sure how they will mount.
                OK found they are supposed to be mounted to the through bar. Does it match the stock Frame mount? Anybody know?

The Accels I have came with a mounting kit installed. It is tight but they fit nicely once in.

Plus Yellow is much racier than "green"
                My Dynas bolted right up to the stock mounts with no mods at all. The stock bolts and spacers fit perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                  My Dynas bolted right up to the stock mounts with no mods at all. The stock bolts and spacers fit perfectly.
                  Not on mine. I only have one bolt apiece holding mine in. This is with the boots facing forward.
                  They're not going anywhere though.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I think the L's might be different. I have the dyna coils and there is no way they will fit to the stock mounting locations without me fabbing something up.

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post
                      I think the L's might be different. I have the dyna coils and there is no way they will fit to the stock mounting locations without me fabbing something up.
                      Apparently so. The L frame is different, so it makes sense. I got lucky I guess. I hear people talking about having trouble, mine bolted up in about 5 minutes.

Comment

Today 11:14 AM posplayr Bill said he had a bear of a time getting a set of Dynas to fit on his L. I have a bare set and not sure how they will mount. OK found they are supposed to be mounted to the through bar. Does it match the stock Frame mount? Anybody know?
                        They did on my 81L. Dyna has added an additional mounting hole in the bar from the earlier models and they went right in to the mounts for me. The Dynas seem slightly taller than the OEM's so I took maybe a 1/4" off the spacers to be sure but they fit even before I trimmed the spacers. Bills "L" is a four valve model so I am sure it is different than my two valve. The angled towers did seem to make it easier to run the plug wires.
                        82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                        81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                        83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                        06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                        AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Working...
                        X