1977 GS750 "COOLEY" Tribute Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS750 "COOLEY" Tribute Project

Hi, I'm taking my unrestored '77 GS750 (ebay find) and doing a basic cosmetic restoration and bringing it back as a "WES COOLEY TRIBUTE" bike. I'll be using the '79 GS1000S paint scheme but keeping the GS750 badging. I've created a photo album of before pics on my profile.
    So far I've discovered it has the original ball bearings in the steering head (going to replace those!) and a lot of dirt! The wiring was also completely hosed (but somehow ran great!).
    Interestingly the swing arm seems really tight and moves freely with no "grabiness" or noticeable play. I'm not taking that apart as of today. Suggestions?
    Oh, it had a Yamaha XS650 headlight bucket so I'm going to get a proper GS unit.
    I'm considering upgrading some of the electical components and wondering what the bike would benefit from most?
    Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2010, 04:17 PM. Reason: Adding text

Originally posted by AirCooledFour View Post
    Hi, I'm taking my unrestored '77 GS750 (ebay find) and doing a basic cosmetic restoration and bringing it back as a "WES COOLEY TRIBUTE" bike. I'll be using the '79 GS1000S paint scheme but keeping the GS750 badging. I've created a photo album of before pics on my profile.
    So far I've discovered it has the original ball bearings in the steering head (going to replace those!) and a lot of dirt! The wiring was also completely hosed (but somehow ran great!).
    Interestingly the swing arm seems really tight and moves freely with no "grabiness" or noticeable play. I'm not taking that apart as of today. Suggestions?
    Oh, it had a Yamaha XS650 headlight bucket so I'm going to get a proper GS unit.
    I'm considering upgrading some of the electical components and wondering what the bike would benefit from most?
    Electrical Stuff in Order:
    1. Check my "GS Charging Health" and the "Stator Pages" Link in my signature
    2. Clean (I use Naval Jelly to clean brass and copper) and reassemble all electrical contacts with Dialetric grease
    3. Coil relay Modification (many links on that; I have my method also)
    4. FET FA-012A Regulator (do a search)
    5. Since you have points the Dyna S is also recommended.

I would at least take the bolt out wipe out the old grease and put new waterproof motocycle grease in.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Electrical Stuff in Order:
      1. Check my "GS Charging Health" and the "Stator Pages" Link in my signature
      2. Clean (I use Naval Jelly to clean brass and copper) and reassemble all electrical contacts with Dialetric grease
      3. Coil relay Modification (many links on that; I have my method also)
      4. FET FA-012A Regulator (do a search)
      5. Since you have points the Dyna S is also recommended.
      I would at least take the bolt out wipe out the old grease and put new waterproof motocycle grease in.
      Thanks, I'll take a look at that stuff. What is "R/R"?

Comment

Originally posted by AirCooledFour View Post
        Thanks, I'll take a look at that stuff. What is "R/R"?
        Rectifier/Regulator (R/R)

Comment

Thanks

Oh, that "R/R"! Thanks...
          I did a quick wipe down of the drive sprocket and noticed some play in it. Very slight, and the nut is also loose, maybe one or two mm thats it. The retaining washer seems to be keeping it in place.

Comment

What is this?

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Rectifier/Regulator (R/R)
            I was curious what this part was? Is it part of the charging system?

Comment

The best advise I can give is PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE, Ive restored 5 GS's and patience is the best thing and do things slowly.

Comment

Well, I have all the electrical sorted, new R/R, new headlight, cleaned all the connections, repaired any frayed insulation or missing tape, and everything lit right up just like its supposed to the first try!

Today I'm putting on the stainless brake lines and modifying my EMGO fairing for fairing mount mirrors I got from Dennis Kirk. I'm going to fab up a cross brace so the fairing isn't so flimsey when I do that mod.

Pictures will be posted soon...

Comment

propose a budget and multiply it by two. I've got plenty of bikes that don't run because I missed this step!

Comment

Working...
                  X