GS coils vs Bandit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS coils vs Bandit

I'm wondering about hooking up my new Bandit coils to my 80 gs 1100. The plug wires are easy 1&4, 2&3 but Look at the pictures and tell me where the auxillary wires go. How do I know where to attach what?

Paul
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Where are the connections on the Bandit coils? I can't seem to see them in the pic.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Should be a +

The markings and poles are on the frond side of your coils that you can't see in the picture you have posted. Should be a "+" molded on one side neer the positive pole. If they are like GSX-R coils the + will be part of what looks like a seam in the plastic molding. The negative "-" side will have no marking as the seam in the plastic is going the same dirrection as the negative marking would be. Save your old harness plugs by cutting them off as long as you can. Crimp on female spade lugs to go onto the male spades on the bandit coils. Make sure you use insulated lugs or shrink wrap that will cover the bare lugs as they will be very close to the gas tank when instaled. Hook up the wires that are the same color to the negative and the two remaining wires are your right and left positives. The harness plugs should be right and left specific. If you are careful not to break the clips you can replace the wires on the new coils with solid core wire from the dealer. I buy it in six foot lengths and this seems to work fine. The old wires are usually fine if you cut off 3/8" or so. Get some 5k ohm NGK caps and you'll be good to go. Looks like you have already removed the wires from the coil in your picture. The clips are fragile but they can be re-used if you are careful and they are 100% necessary to hold in the wires.

When I got my GS1100 the thing wouldn't start. I found two of the old caps were reading open on my meeter. The old caps on our old Suzi's are CRAP.
      Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2010, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Here's another pic, then
        80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Ok, I see the pos & neg on the Bandit coils. Does the orange wire from the gs coil go to the pos or neg on the bandit coil?

Comment

Orange/White to positive
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X