brake issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake issue

I van't get the brakes on my 550es to bleed up. I rebuilt both calipers and the master cylinder. I just pulled them all apart again to see if I was an idiot and all is properly put together. I don't get it. No matter what the lever comes to the bar. I can build up some pressure but if I leave it alone for a minute it has no pressure and i need to pump it again. It doesn't have tradional banjos on the calipers. I wish it did. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Take off the brake lever and bleed the brakes by pushing the piston in with a screwdriver. The lever does not push all the air out of the M/C.
    Do this with the cap off the M/C and watch for bubbles.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i never heard of this trick before. i will have to give it a try.

Comment

tapping on the lines at the same time might help the air flow upwards.

make sure the MC is in a position so no air can get trapped at the MC banjo.

finally, check that no hose connectors draw any new air in.
        GS850GT

Comment

Well I givle up.
          I have tried every thing.
          tapped on lines
          bled the master cylinder
          pulled everything apart to double check it is right.
          checked all fitting and gaskets
          pushed in plunger with a screw driver
          etc...

I can build up pressure if I clamp off the brake lines between the splitter and the calipers.
          my guess is I have an issue where the lines connect to the calipers. However the bike does not have traditional banjo bolts. ugh. I have no clue where to get replacement fittings or how to convert it to banjos.

I have most of the parts necessary to convert to a Katana front end but I still need to buy a few necessary items such as tires for the 17" rims. However I want to get it up and on the road with all the stock stuff before I start to mod the bike up. I want to make sure it all works properly. I never rode this bike before and dont want to throw a bunch of stuff at it until I know it works properly.

Comment

anyone got a power bleeder this chap can use...sounds to me like an airlock and most likely at the splitter.. damned dual calipers always seem to do that for some reason. I out up with it till i bough my power bleeder from Auto zone...plastic hose they give you was a bit large for the bleeder nipple, but ijust use smaller blcak vacuum line and it works excellent.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I looked at the parts fiche for your bike and can see your dilemma. It's not clear to me where the adapter threads into. Do you have 2 brake lines feeding each caliper?

It appears you have both banjo bolts and some type of an adapter fitting. It may be possible to replace the adapter with a double banjo bolt. They you just need to run replacement SS lines. Measure the threads on the adaptor or thread one of your banjo bolts into what ever the adapter threads into and see if the threads are the same. Z1 enterprises sells brake lines by goodridge that work well and are easy to install.

Take a look at this thread
              This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Post number 7 describes the method that I use and I have no problem getting a firm lever.

Try getting a mity vac or phoenix injector before spending money on replacing your lines. If the lines are original, I would replace them anyway but try doing a proper bleed to see if you get more lever.
              Last edited by Guest; 02-08-2010, 04:51 AM.

Comment

well I have tried everything and the brakes still suck. I have now started the installation of a katana front end and rear wheel. I didnt want to do this just yet but I am sick of messing with the stock brakes. I will keep all posted on my progress.

Comment

Working...
                X