'80 GS550 sprocket carrier disc/drum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 GS550 sprocket carrier disc/drum?

Does anyone know if there is an offset difference in the sprocket carriers between a '80 GS550 disc brake mag wheel and drum brake spoke wheel?

Joe I cannot tell you an answer to that. But I do have a spoked wire wheel on the rear of my '77 GS550B model and if you would like me to take any particular measurements then I can do that for you. Just let me know if I can help.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
      Joe I cannot tell you an answer to that. But I do have a spoked wire wheel on the rear of my '77 GS550B model and if you would like me to take any particular measurements then I can do that for you. Just let me know if I can help.
      That would be great if you could. The measurement I need is from the lip on the hub to the back of the sprocket. I've got about 1-1/4" and need closer to 1-3/4". This carrier lines everything up with the disc/mag wheel, but the drum hub is narrower.

Comment

Washers make great spacers.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Well Joe I am totally confused. I thought you wanted to change out a mag wheel with disc brake for a wire wheel with a drum. But I see in your picture you are showing a wire wheel with a 1 1/4" measurement. So I don't know what's happening.

Anyway I took the same measurement from the hub lip to the inside of the sprocket and that measurement on my bike is 1 3/4". Just what you wanted apparently.

Let me know if you need any more measurements or help in any other way.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
            Well Joe I am totally confused. I thought you wanted to change out a mag wheel with disc brake for a wire wheel with a drum. But I see in your picture you are showing a wire wheel with a 1 1/4" measurement. So I don't know what's happening.

Anyway I took the same measurement from the hub lip to the inside of the sprocket and that measurement on my bike is 1 3/4". Just what you wanted apparently.

Let me know if you need any more measurements or help in any other way.
            Yes, changing a bike from a '80 mag/disc to a spoke/drum. The drum is from a '73 T500. A big thanks for the help, as I got a '78 GS550 spoke/drum carrier on ebay, and it's just the right offset I need.

Here's the GS carrier on the left and T500 on the right.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe C View Post
              Yes, changing a bike from a '80 mag/disc to a spoke/drum. The drum is from a '73 T500. A big thanks for the help, as I got a '78 GS550 spoke/drum carrier on ebay, and it's just the right offset I need.

Here's the GS carrier on the left and T500 on the right.
              OK I understand now. Glad you got it fixed and the GS part works for you.

Comment

Working...
              X