Pins on original style rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pins on original style rectifier

Coming at the problem from the non standard direction I cannot find the answer to the following :

On the 1983 vintage 5 pin r/r, which of the pins, as described in the manual A,B,C,D,E with the cooling fins up and pins toward you is the +ve pin ?
    My guess after studying the test charts is E but I may be 100% wrong !

This problem has come about as my bike has a badly fitted SH548-12 only held on by one bolt and fitted about face so that the connectors rest on top of the suspension at full travel. I have bought a new r/r in the old pattern (with I hope better grade internals than the original) and so have nothing to copy for fittment.

Thanks
    Tiny

Originally posted by TinySherpa View Post
    Coming at the problem from the non standard direction I cannot find the answer to the following :

On the 1983 vintage 5 pin r/r, which of the pins, as described in the manual A,B,C,D,E with the cooling fins up and pins toward you is the +ve pin ?
    My guess after studying the test charts is E but I may be 100% wrong !

This problem has come about as my bike has a badly fitted SH548-12 only held on by one bolt and fitted about face so that the connectors rest on top of the suspension at full travel. I have bought a new r/r in the old pattern (with I hope better grade internals than the original) and so have nothing to copy for fittment.

Thanks
    Tiny
    Tiny,
    The standard Suzuki color coding for the R/R has the R/R(+) output (your +Ve???) in RED and the R/R(-) return as BLACK (usually with a ring lug to locate it as one of the R/R mounting bolts). All the other stator wires should be connected directly to the stator without preference.

See the link for GS Charging health at the bottom of my signature for a guide on how it should hook up.

Jim

Comment

Pins on OEM style rectifier circa 1983

Dear Jim
      Thanks for the info.
      As you can gather my electrical knowledge is poor.

Yes, I did mean the red wire as +ve so I will rephrase that in its basics, Which pin A or E does the red wire go on to ?
      There are no markings on the r/r, the only asymetrical thing is that pin A is slightly further apart than the other 4. Presumably due to internals.

I had a look at your GS Charging notes which are great but have raised another question in my mind. The r/r (and many other wires) are grounded to one of the r/r retaining bolts. Obviously this works but on my GS(X) 750 ESD the backing plate which the r/r is bolted to is held by 2 anti vibration rubber insulated grommets/washers. Is this approach still going to work ? Or has it got nothing to do with getting back to the frame earth ?

Your help is very much appreciated.
      Tiny

Comment

Dear Jim
        Thanks for the info.
        As you can gather my electrical knowledge is poor.

Yes, I did mean the red wire as +ve so I will rephrase that in its basics, Which pin A or E does the red wire go on to ?
        There are no markings on the r/r, the only asymetrical thing is that pin A is slightly further apart than the other 4. Presumably due to internals.

I had a look at your GS Charging notes which are great but have raised another question in my mind. The r/r (and many other wires) are grounded to one of the r/r retaining bolts. Obviously this works but on my GS(X) 750 ESD the backing plate which the r/r is bolted to is held by 2 anti vibration rubber insulated grommets/washers. Is this approach still going to work ? Or has it got nothing to do with getting back to the frame earth ?

Your help is very much appreciated.
        Tiny
        As far as the R/R do you not have a mating connector or can tell from the schematic?
        The R/R along with most electroncis are mounted in rubber to avoid vibration. That is why you run the one wire from the R/R mounting bolt to the closest frame ground location.

Comment

OK found theh manual with the nomenclature. It looks like A is R/R(+) and E is R/R (-) and the stators arein between.

The reason is that with plus on A and minus on E you get an open. That is becasue current can not flow backwards into A.

Comment

Pins on OEM style rectifier circa 1983

Excellent, thank you.
            So I was 100% wrong - I did not think 50/50 were good odds when doing electrical work !

I get the mounting bolt thing now, it is acting as a terminal for all the wires connected to it, not as a ground.

Once again thank you for your time and knowledge.

Tiny

Comment

Excellent, thank you.
              So I was 100% wrong - I did not think 50/50 were good odds when doing electrical work !

I get the mounting bolt thing now, it is acting as a terminal for all the wires connected to it, not as a ground.

Once again thank you for your time and knowledge.

Tiny
              Well technically the mounting bolt is what is called a "single point" ground. All the charging current has to flow back into the R/R(-) wire. So collecting current from all return paths so it can get back into the R/R (-) is what the mounting bolt is doing.

It is strange that there is no documentation describing the polarity of the R/R connections; I guess they assume you will have the mating connector.

I measured an R/R I have just to confirm. It would be safest to leave one the red leg from the R/R disconnected and insure the polarity before connecting it (start the bike with it disconnected and make sure you get a positive voltage relative to ground).

I'm 99% confident in the polarity, just would be safer

Comment

The Rosetta stone ?

Please see attached from a GSX550 manual which uses wire colours.

But it was never going to be that easy, it seems to be a mirror image. Whereas the previous ABCDE test chart had all the action on the +ve probe side , this one its all on the -ve probe side !!
                I have stared and stared at both of them but my spatial manipulation abilities cannot work it out. Sometimes I think E must be +ve but when I try to check it it all goes blurry again.
                This is so painful that I would reserve it only for those who enjoy su-do-ku. Maybe there is an error in the probe polarity in one of them ?

Comment

And the answer is .....

With the fins up and the pins toward you labelling A,B,C,D,E from left to right, pin E is the +ve output.

Taking Jim's precautionary advice I started the engine with the +ve cable not attached and when offering it up to the A pin there was a pop and flash and the 15 Amp main fuse blew.
                  By this method I deduced that it must be the other possible pin E ! Swapped it all around and it runs fine.

This proves once again that ignorance is time consuming and expensive so thank you to Jim and everyone else that keeps this site alive and well !

Comment

Working...
                  X