Air jet confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air jet confusion

Last night I started reassembling my 1000G carbs, and I ran into a bit of a quandary. According to my copy of the factory service manual, the main air jets should be "1.7". The parts in the carbs that came with the bike (and identified as the air jet in the carb cleanup series) say "180". All the other jets, needles, etc. match the spec. I don't know if it matters, but the air box doesn't have a stock-style air filter, it has that mesh-looking stuff that the K&N pods look to be made of. Can you all comment on this, please? I had a poke around the web, but wasn't able to find another reference to verify the "1.7" or somehow reconcile it to "180".
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

The 1.7 is correct for the MAIN air jet. It is the one in the 4 o'clock position in the carb intake.

The 180 is correct for the PILOT air jet. It is the one in the 8 o'clock position in the carb intake.

Two separate jets.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      The 1.7 is correct for the MAIN air jet. It is the one in the 4 o'clock position in the carb intake.

The 180 is correct for the PILOT air jet. It is the one in the 8 o'clock position in the carb intake.

Two separate jets.

You betcha!
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Again I was confused by nomenclature in the carb rebuild series. It only says "air jet". The FSM only mentions the main air jet, so I assumed they were the same. Curious that the FSM makes no mention of the pilot air jet in the tables.
        Dogma
        --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
          Curious that the FSM makes no mention of the pilot air jet in the tables.
          All the more curious because the pilot air jet is the one you can change.

The main air jet is pressed into place.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Say, what's a good resource for checking on these things? I don't doubt you when you say that 180 is the correct pilot air jet for the GS1000, but how do I find that data for myself next time the FSM comes up short?
            Dogma
            --

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Did you check here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=73723
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Apparently, I didn't search very thoroughly. That thread did cross my mind at one point. It must have crossed all the way through.

The data I find there (post #28 and 136) says 160 on the pilot air jet, not 180. Post #136 says it needs to be cross-checked, so it may not be authoritative. Steve, May I ask where you got your info?
                Last edited by Dogma; 02-11-2010, 04:49 PM.
                Dogma
                --

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Chances are they weren't changed from stock but who knows.
                  I can't seem to find the info in any microfiche. It says "discontinued" and I know they can still be bought.

Comment

Steve, May I ask where you got your info?
                    Sure. Go ahead and ask.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Sure. Go ahead and ask.

Well played.
                      Dogma
                      --

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Steve, May I ask where you got your info?
                        Sure. Go ahead and ask.
                        Well played.
                        Well, ...

are ya gonna ask???

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Where'd ya get the friggen details????????

Comment

Arright. Where'd ya get the 180 number for 1000G(T)?
                            Dogma
                            --

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Thanks for asking.

I got it from post #108 in the carb "sticky" at the top of this forum.

Originally posted by johnnay View Post
                              Okay, finally got tired of replying to PM's about the spreadsheet. Not that there were that many, I just finally got around to posting the file on the 'net...

hope this helps, although I haven't updated it since I first posted about it.

find it here: http://members.shaw.ca/johnwightman/images/SuzCarb.xls

let me know if the link doesn't work.
                              sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X