Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are GS1100E Clutches Interchangeable?

Hi!
    Would a later model (83 and up) clutch basket, etc. fit into my 1080 GS1100ET?
    After glancing at the clutch section of this page:

I have noticed that there are 2 different models of clutch baskets: 80-82 & 83 and up. This leads me to think that there has been an enhancement.

P.S.: No, I'm not shopping for a billet clutch basket, Just wondering if a later model unit would be a good thing to do for my ET. I might have access to one from a GS1150 ...

TIA!
    2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
    1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
    2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
    s)

Hey, whaddya know! I'm currently in the process of a clutch basket refurb, and had some of the same questions. I believe they're mostly the same, in stock form. The link you have is to a place that rebuilds them, which seems to be a good idea, if you're going to be doing any engine upgrades in the future. I think the later clutches have a steel insert for the clutch hub sleeve to reduce wear on the aluminum from the clutch plates. I'm sure someone else will chime in shortly, rapidray will have a definitive answer if he turns up in this thread.

If your "access", means free, then I'd grab it just to have a spare.

Comment

yes...
      chain or shaft will interchange within a few years/makes/models..

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
        Hey, whaddya know! I'm currently in the process of a clutch basket refurb, and had some of the same questions. I believe they're mostly the same, in stock form. The link you have is to a place that rebuilds them, which seems to be a good idea, if you're going to be doing any engine upgrades in the future. I think the later clutches have a steel insert for the clutch hub sleeve to reduce wear on the aluminum from the clutch plates. I'm sure someone else will chime in shortly, rapidray will have a definitive answer if he turns up in this thread.

1150's only had the steel insert on the inner hub.

**has nothing to do with the plate/hub wear.**
        **keeps the spline of the hub from twisting**

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          1150's only had the steel insert on the inner hub.

**has nothing to do with the plate/hub wear.**
          **keeps the spline of the hub from twisting**
          Interesting. I've discovered while working on this bike that I know just enough about engines to know that I don't know jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
            No LOL! I just think that there might be one available from someone in my neck of the woods.
            s)

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
              yes...
              chain or shaft will interchange within a few years/makes/models..
              That's good to hear! What do you mean by "within a few years"? Would, for example, an 86 1150 clutch swap (plug and play) into my 1980 GS1100ET?
              Thanks!
              s)

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
                Hi!
                Would a later model (83 and up) clutch basket, etc. fit into my 1080 GS1100ET?
                After glancing at the clutch section of this page:

I have noticed that there are 2 different models of clutch baskets: 80-82 & 83 and up. This leads me to think that there has been an enhancement.

P.S.: No, I'm not shopping for a billet clutch basket, Just wondering if a later model unit would be a good thing to do for my ET. I might have access to one from a GS1150 ...

TIA!
                This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Make sure if you start mixing and matching you watch the shim that Suzuki started adding in 83. A gorrilla nut and gorrilla hub are also very desirable.

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
                  That's good to hear! What do you mean by "within a few years"? Would, for example, an 86 1150 clutch swap (plug and play) into my 1980 GS1100ET?
                  Thanks!
                  The clutch hubs are not interchangeable. The gears are different.
                  The plates and steels themselves are though.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    The clutch hubs are not interchangeable. The gears are different.
                    The plates and steels themselves are though.
                    Bill I just checked the 80-81 GS1100E , 82-83 GS1100E and 83 GS1100S microfice and all of the current numbers used for the #1 primary Driven gear are the same 21200-49214 ; there are various old numbers listed and the
                    inner hub (#5 SLEVE HUB) have all been replaced with 21410-00A00. . The 80-81 has 3 inner sleve numbers listed that are now replace by this new one 21411-49201, 21411-49202, and 21411-49203.

The manual says that #3 Spacer 21251-49200 is shorter on the 83's but there is no evidence in the micro fiche.

I only have 83's; anybody ever measured the thickness of the #3 spacer on the earlier motors? It should be 1mm thicker than the 83's

EDIT: I spoke to Rapid Ray he seems to think that the 1mm+ thrust washer is not too common and olny exists on some of the late GS1100ED's and the 83 GS1100SD's. Both of my ED's have it.
                    Last edited by posplayr; 02-13-2010, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Bill I just checked the 80-81 GS1100E , 82-83 GS1100E and 83 GS1100S microfice and all of the current numbers used for the #1 primary Driven gear are the same 21200-49214 ; there are various old numbers listed and the
                      inner hub (#5 SLEVE HUB) have all been replaced with 21410-00A00. . The 80-81 has 3 inner sleve numbers listed that are now replace by this new one 21411-49201, 21411-49202, and 21411-49203.

The manual says that #3 Spacer 21251-49200 is shorter on the 83's but there is no evidence in the micro fiche.

I only have 83's; anybody ever measured the thickness of the #3 spacer on the earlier motors? It should be 1mm thicker than the 83's

EDIT: I spoke to Rapid Ray he seems to think that the 1mm+ thrust washer is not too common and olny exists on some of the late GS1100ED's and the 83 GS1100SD's. Both of my ED's have it.
                      I was referring to the 1150s and 1100s.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Thanks for the insight guys! As always, this info will be very helpful!
                        s)

Comment

POSPLAYR how can you have TWO EDs?
                          Gary from the backwoods I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by gggGary View Post
                            POSPLAYR how can you have TWO EDs?
                            Gary from the backwoods I guess.
                            He used to have three.

Comment

don't rely on fiche and such all the time.
                              hands on is the best method of knowing interchanging parts.
                              83 had the thinner grooved washer(plus a 1-2mm shim) as did all the 1150's.
                              on 80-82 you didn't need the extra 1-2 mm shim but it is a good idea to add this shim to keep from shearing the back off of your inner hub during power shifts/hard launches.
                              on 83 and 1150's add a 1-2mm shim as i have brokin 4-5 inner hubs on 1150's before a well known racer(jessie gatlin) told me how to fix the problem many many moons ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X