Rectifier/Regulator for 1979 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to ask the dumb question..

When you are testing what position is the key in? 1 click or two from off?

Position 2 does nothing but light the taillight and headlight.

Comment

On two occasions I have had a solenoid fail after the battery was jumper from a car. I thought it was a coincidence when it happened on my CBX. After the same thing happened on my 1000G, I'm not so sure that it was.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by sschering View Post
        I have to ask the dumb question..

When you are testing what position is the key in? 1 click or two from off?

Position 2 does nothing but light the taillight and headlight.
        OK, it's my turn to ask the dumb question?

All of the ignition switches on my GS bikes (and others I have seen) only have four positions. I number them 1-4 from left to right.
        #1 is LOCK, all electric circuits are OFF and the handlebbar is locked if turned to either extreme.
        #2 is OFF, all electric circuits are OFF and the handlebar is unlocked.
        #3 is ON, all electric circuits are ON, the bike is basically ready to ride.
        #4 is PARK, it's like #1, except the tail light is turned ON.

Your "position 2" that only lights the headlight and tail light confuses me. The only switch position that has both lights on also has the ignition circuit on, too. If you do not have the handlebar turned to either extreme, there are only two positions in which you can have the key, #2, OFF and #3, ON.

"Dumb question" time: what is your second click from OFF?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ya know you are right.. tail light only in park.. (2nd click from off)
          Duno why I thought the headlight was on in park..

I got my Yamaha from a guy who couldn't get it to run..
          He had it in park.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2010, 12:31 AM.

Comment

I know the feeling. We got my wife's 850 from a gal who had problems with the battery dying. Even after taking it to a shop a couple of times to have it worked on and pronounced "healthy", the battery would die before the next weekend when she wanted to ride. I couldn't find anything wrong with the bike, I suspect she was also using the PARK position.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well, I followed the wiring diagram.

I have 2 wires from the positive of the battery going out. 1 is to the rectifier, the other is to the solenoid.

On the other post of the solenoid, I have the black (hot) wire to the starter motor.

I have the yellow/green wire hooked up to the small post. I have power to the solenoid and when I hit the start button, I get my tester light to light up with I put the pointer on the post.

However, I cannot get my starter to engage. When I jump the solenoid, the starter turns.

One of the responses said that it may need to be grounded. When I put my tester light pointer on 1 post and the clip on the other, my tester light comes on. Does this mean that I have it hooked up incorrectly?

If I put both wires on the same post, the starter engages. I cannot find anything on the internet about how my solenoid is grounded.

Still looking for how I can get this running.

Comment

Originally posted by dluszcz View Post
                Well, I followed the wiring diagram.

I have 2 wires from the positive of the battery going out. 1 is to the rectifier, the other is to the solenoid.

On the other post of the solenoid, I have the black (hot) wire to the starter motor.

I have the yellow/green wire hooked up to the small post. I have power to the solenoid and when I hit the start button, I get my tester light to light up with I put the pointer on the post.

However, I cannot get my starter to engage. When I jump the solenoid, the starter turns.

One of the responses said that it may need to be grounded. When I put my tester light pointer on 1 post and the clip on the other, my tester light comes on. Does this mean that I have it hooked up incorrectly?

If I put both wires on the same post, the starter engages. I cannot find anything on the internet about how my solenoid is grounded.

Still looking for how I can get this running.
                Can you post some photos of the solenoid and how you have it hooked up? Upload some photos to photobucket and then post the [img] link here so we can have a look see. Sounds like the solenoid is hooked up wrong.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

All this time and it was a bad ground.

I found a post on the internet on how to confirm the starter was good.

I hooked up the positive from the battery to the small post that was for the yellow/green wire. I took a ground wire from the battery and touched it to the body of the solenoid. I got a click.

I ran that same negative wire to one of the screws to hold the solenoid to the metal plate and hit the starter button.

After pushing the starter button a little harder, I got it to turn the starter motor.

Now, I have to get some gas in the bowls of the carbs to get it started before I drain the oil and put it in the frame that I can title.

Thanks to all for your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X