Oil pressure, how low is too low?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pressure, how low is too low?

I have just fitted a 15psi oil gauge (thanks renobruce) to my newly acquired '82 gsx1100 Kat. On startup the gauge reads between 3-6psi but once warm the pressure drops to around 1-1.5 psi at idle (about 1200rpm). At 2000rpm pressure is back to around 2.5-3psi and increases with revs.
    At idle the oil light does not come on.
    I just wanted to check if this is adequate pressure before I ride the bike.
    I recently removed the sump, cleaned the pickup and installed a new O ring (with a bit of grease to hold it in position during assembly) and everything looked good. But being an old bike who knows how worn the oil pump is.
    I'm using Shell 4T 15-40wt oil.
    I'm new to these bikes so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Nod,

I wouldn't worry about those numbers on my bike. But I'm not so sure about yours. Does yours have an oil cooler? Listen, someone who's more familiar with your bike will be along soon with a definitive answer. I just wanted to give you my cordial welcome and say "Howdy!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I think you are OK as these are low pressure roller bearing engines, but not sure, never bothered to use a gauge on any of mine.

Ask Bruce.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Nod, I'll say you're fine. You got a high flow - low pressure motor there. Once she's warmed up and purring, the pressure will be low. Also, down there in OZ it's still summer time, eh? Enjoy the nice riding weather. No worries, mate.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome fellas, yes it is summer here and at around 38 degrees C in my shed the old bike gets up to temp pretty quick!.
          I didn't realise that was my first post as I have lurked here for a while and PMed renobruce a few times, I have also used a lot of info off this site and Basscliffs website so feel like I already know most of the regular contributors. Awesome site by the way Basscliff, it must the the best collection of info around.
          As for my bike, as far as I know it is an original and unmodified '82 1100 Katana as far as the engine goes. It does have a 4-1 exhaust, and I recently installed a relay to the coils (thanks to Basscliffs site for the how-to).
          Compression is good at between 1125 and 1200 kpa across the cyls and I just checked all my valve clearances last night.
          I dont have an oil cooler.

Comment

Working...
          X