Clutch hub rebuild kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch hub rebuild kit?

What size rivets would be in my '82 1100E clutch hub? I want to order a rebuild kit and I would rather not tear mine apart right now to check the size. Ape says there were 11mm and 11.9mm rivets on some.

normally HD kits are sold for early and late baskets.
    early being 80-82
    late being 83-86 1100/1150
    the difference is in the spring length.
    i have always had to drill out the basket holes for the larger rivets that comes with the HD kit.
    to my knowledge falicon has always manufactured 99% of the HD kits that other retailers carry/offer.
    MTC having a inner/outer backing plate/spring through hole type of HD basket is the only other retailer of HD baskets that i'm aware of.

Comment

Springs and rivet sizes are different. If you have not installed one of these kits, you should know that it required a special jig to hold it all together and compress the cone washer while you weld it.

Why not just send in the basket and let us do it.

Jay
      Speed Merchant
      http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

I shimmed the springs on my 750 basket and had it rewelded locally and they did a good job, only cost $25 too. beats adding another $150-200 for sending it away. For the price of a few washers and the $25 I could do this one too.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
          Springs and rivet sizes are different. If you have not installed one of these kits, you should know that it required a special jig to hold it all together and compress the cone washer while you weld it.

Why not just send in the basket and let us do it.

Jay
          I'm in need of a rebuild, you guys offer a discount for GS members?

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
            I shimmed the springs on my 750 basket and had it rewelded locally and they did a good job, only cost $25 too. beats adding another $150-200 for sending it away. For the price of a few washers and the $25 I could do this one too.
            I think having the thicker back plate is the main reason for the upgrade; it is not just having welded rivites. You can sometimes get HD clutch baskets for $100-$120

and get a HD nut

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              I think having the thicker back plate is the main reason for the upgrade; it is not just having welded rivites. You can sometimes get HD clutch baskets for $100-$120

and get a HD nut
              Yes, I have seen baskets that have lost their springs, didnt get to see what it did to the motor though
              I really wouldnt bother, but it rattles sooo bad at idle with the clutch out in neutral, I figured I might as well do it right if it has to be done.
              I just wish someone would give me an answer as to what version I need so I dont have to tear it apart to find out the diameter of my rivets. If I tear it apart now, I will be without a bike for a week or two waiting for the kit to arrive.

Comment

Yes, I have seen baskets that have lost their springs, didnt get to see what it did to the motor though
                I really wouldnt bother, but it rattles sooo bad at idle with the clutch out in neutral, I figured I might as well do it right if it has to be done.
                I just wish someone would give me an answer as to what version I need so I dont have to tear it apart to find out the diameter of my rivets. If I tear it apart now, I will be without a bike for a week or two waiting for the kit to arrive.
                i answered your question...
                it has nothing to do with rivet size.
                installing an HD backing plate kit is a pain...nothing like messing with a stock basket.
                if you have the correct basket that your bike came with then you need a short spring HD kit.
                the basket has to be drilled for the rivets no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                  i answered your question...
                  it has nothing to do with rivet size.
                  installing an HD backing plate kit is a pain...nothing like messing with a stock basket.
                  if you have the correct basket that your bike came with then you need a short spring HD kit.
                  the basket has to be drilled for the rivets no matter what.
                  I got the basket apart today, the rivets show 10.6mm or so. Where do I find an 11mm or so drill bit to drill out the basket?

Comment

Where do I find an 11mm or so drill bit to drill out the basket?
                    U can get anything from Amazon

Comment

FYI
                      the rivets should have a slight press fit.
                      if they drop in the new hole the entire assy. can move and wobble the holes out after some use.

Comment

Got the kit in about a week (thanks APE) got a buddy to weld it up and voila. No more clutch rattle, now I can hear other stuff

Comment

Got the kit in about a week (thanks APE) got a buddy to weld it up and voila. No more clutch rattle, now I can hear other stuff
                          Hallelujah Another happy customer

Comment

Working...
                          X