X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reinstalling exhaust

82 gs650glz
    33k miles

I'm trying to put the exhaust back on. I bought new exhaust gaskets, took out the old ones already and put the new ones in.

The problem I am having is that I cannot get the flanges on the header to bolt down all the way.

The bolts seem to be bottoming out before the flange is tightened down all the way. The flanges are still loose but the bolts will not turn anymore. any suggestions? The flanges are orientated correctly also.

I'm not using OEM bolts, however, the bolts are the same size as the OEM. does this matter?

Sorry about the ****ty explanation, but I'm not sure what to do here. :P

Are you sure the thread pitch is the same? they may start like they fit but as they penetrate they will sieze... regardless whatever you do, do not force them..I clean them very well even if they are new and then coat them with a small amout of axle grease before I start.

Comment

Are the bolts that you are using are the same length as stock? I am guessing from the parts description they are 40mm long 8mm bolts with washers. Likewise is this the stock exhaust?

On my 650, the flanges will not seat tight against head but will seat tight to the exhaust pipe. Please exercise caution tightening the flanges down since they will break fairly easily, previous owner to thank for this.

You may want to check depth of bolt hole and compare to length of threaded area on bolt, maybe you do not have enough threads on bolt to secure flange.

Comment

Run a tap through all the threads. Put some washers on the bolts so they don't bottom out and use a lock washer so they don't back out.
        Also use anti-seize on all the bolts.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Does your exhaust use split collars to hold it tight?

If there is a LOT of room, you might be missing your collars.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Made it out to garage to check, 8mm x 40mm bolt. On mine, the bolt was inserted approximately 12mm into head, I haven't torque to final spec but will imagine it was close.

The gs650g doesn't utilize the split collars, pretty sure this applies to gL model also.

If you still have original bolts, try one and see how far it seats, I wonder if the bolts you purchased have the same pitch.

Comment

The exhaust is good now. I threw on a washer and a lock washer. The flanges still are not pressed down against head, but they are pressing the pipes into the head and crushing the new gasket.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X