Wave washer and clutch help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wave washer and clutch help

Hey guys and gals. Last year I started having a problem with the clutch slipping on my 82 650 at the top of the tach when accelerating hard. I replaced the fibers and springs and it did not help.

Someone here told me it may be a wave washer problem but as it was the end of the season I just stayed off the gas and called it good. Now I want to fix it properly but Im not sure what this wave washer does. If someone could give me some more information it would be great. Is there anything else that could cause this problem? I wouldn't think it would need new steel plates as they looked good when I removed them. This is a link to what Im looking at. Thanks for any help! Im looking at parts #6 and probably #8. Do you think i need a new retainer too or just use the old one? What would you do? Thanks!

measure the thickness of the fiber plates and get a set of #15

(clutch springs) after you make sure the cable is adjusted properly.

the springs are usually enough but since you did ride on it after you could tell it was slipping. you should measure them.
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Looked Good?

Did you check for warpage per spec?

Are they glazed? Fibers or metal?

I agee you most likely need springs and a lubed cable, but now that you've slipped them, make sure they're to spec before you put it back together
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

clutch stuff
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Great article on clutch stuff! I need to go threw it more detailed. The bike has new springs, fibers and a new cable and is adjusted properly. The plates did not looked glazed when I had them out but i didn't measure them. I Did order a couple new steel plates and they looked very close in comparison but I guess I should check that again.

Comment

The flatness of the steel plates is critical

You can always sand them a bit if they're glazed
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
            X