GS1000 slide carb engine with 1000e cylinder head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 slide carb engine with 1000e cylinder head

Hi First time for me can anyone advise on fitting a 1000e head complete using slide carbs and inlet rubbers (seconhand 1000e head came with the slide rubber inlets slotted mounting holes to fit the larger port on the head) on my 78gs1000 engine as my head is scored by a previous removal (not me) with a sharp instrument.
    The bike is customised and has much money spent in the build up by the last owner, with the bottom end in very good condition and new piston pins fitted by myself as they had a fair bit of play.
    The 1000e cams fitted are slightly different I think so are the pistons the same?
    My original head actually ran but leaked so I got this 1000e head on the net advertised as gs1000, hope this is clear enough for anyone to help.
    Many thanks Noel in Coventry

Hi Noel and welcome to the funny farm.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking as the 1000e came with both slide carbs and CVs. The key difference was the year of manufacture - an 80 onwards bike came with CVs whereas the earlier models have VM slide carbs (beware bikes that hung around in the dealers - a bike sold in 1980 may be a 79 model for instance). The 'e' just signified that the bike had alloy wheels and not spokes and Suzuki added another letter as the year code - ec = 78, en = 79, et = 80....

How was your original head leaking by the way? Usually it's just a gasket problem.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

To sort of answer your question, All GS 1000 8V heads interchange

The only difference is the VM/CV carbs and port size - they basically need to match up for a street bike

I don't think there's much difference in the stock cams
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi Thanks for the quick reply the port size on the new head is bigger than my slide carb head. the "new" head had slide carb rubbers fitted that had been slotted on the mounting points to allow them to line up with the wider spacings of the bolt holes that's what makes me think it had been used with the smaller carbs.
        I am assuming it would run to a degree with the smaller carbs on but had anybody done this before?
        The new head is in very good condition as is the cams/caps and threads so as I got it very reasonable it would be great if I could use it also my carbs are really good.
        If I have to get CV carbs I will is it easy to locate these?
        I have always run Italian bikes before but rode a GS1000 and got hooked.
        Thanks for the help Noel

Comment

I would try the original VM carbs with your modified intake boots.. Otherwise you would need a set of later CV carbs, intake boots, airbox & choke cable. If the head is not too bad it could be resurfaced, & would need the cams degreed. Also the later head has an extra bolt hole at the front of the motor, should be fine without it
          Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2010, 03:24 PM.

Comment

VM/CV carb difference

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            I would try the original VM carbs with your modified intake boots.. Otherwise you would need a set of later CV carbs, intake boots, airbox & choke cable. If the head is not too bad it could be resurfaced, & would need the cams degreed. Also the later head has an extra bolt hole at the front of the motor, should be fine without it
            Thanks for the help
            I will try this first I am sure there will be some issues with the set up as I have pod filters and a Harris 4 into 1 fitted.
            I have some pic's that I can load on to show the overall look, a bit cruiser style with a different tank and fabricated side panels also the rear mudguard is harley style and modified very well.
            Compared to Guzzi/Morini/Ducati it is easy to see why they are much modified.
            Cheers Noel

Comment

Working...
            X