Seat cover '78 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat cover '78 GS1000

Who do you have to know to find a replacement seat cover for the 1978 -80 GS 1000 stepped seat? Will it be necessary to storm the gates of Suzuki HQ? Does this web site have access to Suzukis ear/attention? I can't finish restoring/commit to finishing the bike without the correct (a facsimile doesn't count) seat cover. If Suzuki produced the correct patterned cover, sold the finished item through distributers this is a potential win-win for everybody. Suzuki makes money, Distributers generate revenue and the owners of the 30+ y/old bikes can show their bikes with pride. One other option would be for Suzuki to sell the mold to a reliable second party and let them mfg., distribute the finished product. Thank you in advance for your time and attention in regards to this matter. Worst case scenario, how do you forward an email to Suzuki?

Travelcade is one of the biggest makers of replacement covers

Comment

Originally posted by 2whldreams View Post
      Who do you have to know to find a replacement seat cover for the 1978 -80 GS 1000 stepped seat? Will it be necessary to storm the gates of Suzuki HQ? Does this web site have access to Suzukis ear/attention? I can't finish restoring/commit to finishing the bike without the correct (a facsimile doesn't count) seat cover. If Suzuki produced the correct patterned cover, sold the finished item through distributers this is a potential win-win for everybody. Suzuki makes money, Distributers generate revenue and the owners of the 30+ y/old bikes can show their bikes with pride. One other option would be for Suzuki to sell the mold to a reliable second party and let them mfg., distribute the finished product. Thank you in advance for your time and attention in regards to this matter. Worst case scenario, how do you forward an email to Suzuki?
      Welcome to the site, lots of knowledge here.

Now then, in regard to your post, your name is pretty apt, for you are indeed "dreaming". There are some aftermarket seat covers available that look pretty good, some even are close to the same pattern, but none that I know of that will be exact. The stock seats from Suzuki are looong gone. Occasionally a nice used stock seat pops up on ebay. For your particular model, expect to pay $200 or more for a nice one.

Suzuki isn't going to bother with making a limited run of seat covers for 30+ year old bikes. The hassle involved and the money that would be required for the tooling would make the selling price prohibitive, and the numbers that they would sell simply wouldn't justify the endeavor for them. Small companies that specialize in such things are the place to look.

Do a search here for "seat covers" and see what pops up.

And no, Suzuki doesn't pay any attention to this site. They really don't care about these old bikes, the parts revenue from them is tiny in the grand scheme of things.
      Last edited by Griffin; 02-27-2010, 04:39 PM.
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Get a good picture and take it to your local car upholstery shop
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

GS1000 seat cover

You might check at this website, motorcycleseats.co.uk, his covers are heat pressed and appear close to original.
          1980 GS1000E

Comment

Originally posted by mustangflyr View Post
            You might check at this website, motorcycleseats.co.uk, his covers are heat pressed and appear close to original.
            Wow. His Honda seat covers look really nice. He doesn't have any GS seats listed, but maybe he's done them and hasn't updated his website.

I may have to look into this guy.....
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen for replying to my response. I am considering a simple plain cover just to get this thing done and down the road.

Comment

Look in For Sale

There's one on Ebay right now
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I have a site.

I have a site that has nice replacement covers for just about any seat you could dig up. It was in an article I read in motorcycle clasics and I'll get the name for you by tomorow. You could also go to www.motorcycleclassics.com and see if they have it on thier web site.

Comment

It's www.saddlemen.com

Here it is. www.saddlemen.com and the article is on the MC classics site if you want some good pointers on doing your own work. I recently made my own cover with the help of my Mom who is much better at apulstery than I am. For the price of marine grade vinyl and all the labor I wish I had found this site first. Looks like they have your cover for $64.95 listed for the 1000 and 850L. I paid over $35.00 for materials just to make my own and it took all day with two people and a very expensive heavy duty sewing machine.
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2010, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Here is the closest replacement cover that I have seen. I'll be ordering one this week.

Comment

Working...
                      X