Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81 gs650gl - manual choke only works at idle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs650gl - manual choke only works at idle?

I have an 81 gs650gl. I haven't been riding it, but I've been running it every few weeks and have fuel stabilizer in it. I just posted about a kinked fuel line, which I think is causing the bike to run only on choke.

With the bike choked and cold, if I try to open the throttle, the engine speed and power output instantly drop. I'm guessing the choke will only work at idle, and is automatically shut off at any other throttle position. Is that how it works?

Thanks,
    William

Yes that is exactly how it works. To start the bike you give it full choke and NO throttle and hit the starter button. If you open the throttle that prevents the choke circuit from working and the bike will cut out. Start it on choke and let it warm up with not throttle. Turn choke off and ride away.

Comment

You say you have fuel stabilizer in it and you are not riding. Why are you starting it so often?

The "choke" on these bikes is not like the choke system you might be acquainted with on cars. It is actually an "enrichment system" that works by opening another passage for specially-metered air and fuel to give a richer mixture. It depends on the high vacuum of a closed throttle to work. Opening the throttle at all will remove the vacuum that is necessary to draw the air through the enrichener passages.

Last edited by Steve; 02-28-2010, 08:40 AM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks to you both for the reply. That's about what I figured. It's more of a cold-start mode than a true choke.

I'm just starting it every few weeks to keep everything lubricated and becasue I hope to get riding soon. It also keeps me excited to hear it run!

William

Comment

Working...
        X