Yamabond, ThreeBond, etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamabond, ThreeBond, etc...

So, about to start reassembly of engine. Tore down to crankcase. Removed head and cylinders, side covers, etc. Could someone please answer these questions:

1. Should I use a gasket goo (yamabond, threebond, etc...)?
    2. Does it go on all gaskets? Head gasket as well?
    3. How do I apply? Small amount on both sides of gasket?
    4. What kind should I use (yamabond has 4, 5, etc. and threebond has a bunch of numbers too)?

By the way, I bought a Suzuki gasket kit, no aftermarket stuff here.

Sweet!

No goop needed. They go on dry.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Sky, I believe 3M makes Most of the Yamabond/Suzukibond/Hondabond's. In Yamabond, My preference is the #4,(gray), & use it on A, engine cases, ( the thinest of possible skims on both halves, & assembled while still tacky),B on the top / valve covers of bikes using no gasket (xl/xr's), C, the valve covers of transverse 4's using "paper" gaskets (only on the valve cover side of gasket, in an attempt to keep gasket adhered to valve cover & (hopefully re-use), & D, To salvage broken gaskets in need where replacements arent available & bike "just has'ta go, I'm racing tommorow".. All other gaskets, clean & dry...ESPECIALLY head gaskets, Foremost to remember when using liquid sealers, is that some will ooze. inside & out. & that Japanese motorcycle engines frequently use "oil control orifices" to regulate oil pressure which are about the size of carb. main jets, & can easily be plugged by errant/excessive amts. luck G

Comment

Sky

For the top end, lightly grease (with lithium or white grease for a bicycle) the base gasket and the valve cover gasket

Do not put anything at all on the head gasket, ever

Since you are doing a great clean up, no Yamabond, etc is needed anywhere. I bought a tube about 1990, still haven't used it up yet.
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Those "bond" products are made by Threebond. 1194 is the stuff for in between the crankcase halfs, but unless you split the engine you don't need this. No goop for any other gaskets is necessary.

Oh and for Big T, those sealer products have a shelf life (although I don't know what it is). I'd ditch that old stuff in the trash and get some new if you ever have a need.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah, I already got some Gasgachinch (?) to replace it. I'm sure it's still somewhere in my mess.
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

And contrary to what Big T said a bove, do NOT put anything, ESPECIALLY grease, on a base gasket!!! Ray.

Comment

Well, just to clarify, I am replacing the following gaskets.
                • Base gasket (between cylinders and crank case)
                • Head gasket
                • Side cover gaskets
                • Cam chain tensioner gasket

I am not replacing my valve cover gaskets cause I got one of those Real Gaskets, so I will be using that.

From what I heard so far, I shouldn't use any of these products anywhere because I have clean surfaces and new gaskets.

Until someone can convince me otherwise, I will stick with that.

Comment

Working...
                X