Correct Placement of Insulator on Pointset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct Placement of Insulator on Pointset

Could someone in the know possibly post a close up pic of the correct wire and insulator placement on the point set? This would also include the correct placement of the condensor wires in relation to the screws and insulators.
    My bike is a 1977 GS 750 B.
    Thanks in advance,
    JBrand

Originally posted by JBrand View Post
    Could someone in the know possibly post a close up pic of the correct wire and insulator placement on the point set? This would also include the correct placement of the condensor wires in relation to the screws and insulators.
    My bike is a 1977 GS 750 B.
    Thanks in advance,
    JBrand
    See if these pics are any help:

The points base plate screws to the large points plate, the end of the points base plate (opposite end to the actual contacts) has a hole through it. There is a circular bush shaped insulator that sits in this hole to prevent the small bolt that holds the points terminals from touching earth. On each side of this insulator bush there is an insulating washer. The wire from each coil and the wire from the condensor attach to this small screw. These two wires contact with each other, but are separated from the bike earth by the insulating pieces previously described.

Comment

Wiring placemenet

Many thanks to you and your efforts for posting the great pics Suzuki Don.
      I did end up getting the wires placed correctly.
      What a difference in starting and performance with the new set of points!!

jack

Comment

Actually, the BEST placement of the insulator is in the trash, along with the points, when you replace them with an electronic ignition setup.
        But, since you appear to want to keep the points, Don has it all for you.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X