No announcement yet.

GS250 idles but won't rev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd get that sucker running well and turn her around to the ebay collectors!

Comment

I thought about that too, what are these bikes worth in good shape?

Comment

That is sooooooooo purdy, I... I think I'm going to tear up.

Sweet score!

Keep it, care for it, and enjoy it! Let someone else sell a collector bike!

Comment

Bloody site better looking than ours at the mo

Just done the carbs on the '80 250T we're working on, like Larry said, get a set of standard BS o-rings from Robert at cycleorings.com. You'll have some spare but everything you need is in the set. As for the intake boot o-rings, it wasn't clear to me what size to get so I went with OEM from the parts list and measured them before I fitted them so I would know if there was a next time. I'll have to look around and find the measurement to post it up later.

Somebody, think that was Larry too, mentioned the airbox. I don't think you have much to worry about there. The airbox on these machines are not the same as larger GS bikes. They are an enclosed box except for the intake at the top, the boots to the carbs and the breather. Check the filter element is in good nick, by preference change it, and the seal strips on the lid under the seat. Other than that, I didnt' find anything else to worry about with ours other than the mice living in it of course.

I've been gathering some spares for this machine so give me a shout if you need something, never know, I might just have one.

Good luck with getting her running.

EDIT: beware the clutch push rod oil seal !!!
          Last edited by Wallowgreen; 03-03-2010, 08:50 PM. Reason: Warning
          It's smoke that make electronic components work.
          Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
          '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
          '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
          '82 GS1000SZ
          '82 GS1100GL
          '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Thanks for the good comments everyone! Just ordered new intake boots, o-rings for the intake boots, and the rubber o-rings that connect between the airbox the carbs. Are there any others that I should replace too?

Comment

dumb question but you have the air filter installed right? If not try that and report back.
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

lol yes the air filter is installed.

Comment

What tires are fitted on the machine?

Been looking for something to replace the sorry pair on ours but having trouble finding the right size, especially the rear. Just thought you might be able to shed some light and point me in the right direction.
                  '82 GS1000SZ
                  '82 GS1100GL

Comment

The tires are original actually and are practically brand new

Comment

Probably not going to help me much then but I was actually after the make and type but I doubt they're still in production if they're original.

Brand new 30 year old tires.... hmmm, your choice but personally I'd consider some new rubber as part of making the bike safe for the road.
                      '82 GS1000SZ
                      '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Ya I plan on replacing the tires before I take it on the road. The bike sat on a stand for the last 20 years with the tires off the ground so they are in good shape, but like you said 30 year old rubber is still hard to trust. I can check on the make of the tire later tho

Comment

Have an update for everyone. I replaced the intake boots and intake boot seals, and the seals between the air box and the carburetor. After replacing these i still had the same problem. I looked at the airbox next and noticed that there is no seal between the airbox lid and the airbox, it looks like their should be one there? Also the handle part of the airbox lid is hollow and runs to the airbox is this normal? when I put my hand over the channel and blocked the air flow to the airbox I was able to rev the bike off choke. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Comment

You need a gasket between the lid and the box. I guess I don't know what the "handle" is, is it possibly the spot the snorkel is suppose to fit into? Your diagnosis is correct though, too much air flow.

Comment

Oh, I got my question answered by re-reading the earlier posts. The "handle" is the air intake for the filter box. But ti does need some weather strip material put around it. That is a beautiful bike, by the way.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to get some weatherstripping and add it to the airbox lid then, would that be enough to cause the bogging when i go to rev it?

Comment

Working...
                                X