Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve clearance adjustment on gsx400L

hey guys,

i have a newly acquired 1982 (i think) GSX400L. I'm looking into adjusting the valve clearances and need help since i'm a real newb with engines. The manual says that i should "slacken each locknut concerned and turn the adjuster until the correct setting is obtained. Hold the adjuster still and tighten the locknut."

I really dont know what it is referring to when it says locknut or adjuster. would really appreciate some help with this

Thanks!

Check this out, might want to bookmark Mr BassCliff's site it's a great place for all kinds of useful info.

Sounds like you have the 16 valve motor so the link you're looking for is on the right side of the page, the 8 valve is on the left side of the page.
    It's smoke that make electronic components work.
    Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
    '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
    '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
    '82 GS1000SZ
    '82 GS1100GL
    '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

excellent thanks, i've had that site bookmarked but for some reason I thought there wasn't anything on valves haha :/ also a weird quirk, the 16 valve guide is in-fact right for my engine but its a 8 valve motor....

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Gunn,

You'll have to forgive my math. The "8-valve" and "16-valve" terms are referring to 4 cylinder engines. You have a "4 valve per cylinder" engine and would use the same basic procedure as the 16-valve engines. My bike has 2 valves per cylinder, shim over bucket valve adjustments. The 4 valve per cylinder motors use locknut adjustments. Now let me say "Howdy!" and give you a cordial welcome ....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X