Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are twisted crankshafts a common issue?

Hi!
    I have read different threads about welded camshafts on 16-valve 1100's.
    Since I have a 1980 GS1100ET, I am wondering is this is only a "nice" upgrade to do, or a "good preventive" upgrade that eventually should be done.
    BTW this bike will not be drag raced, etc.... simply a ride to enjoy on the street ... "reasonably".
    2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
    1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
    2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
    s)

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
    Hi!
    I have read different threads about welded camshafts on 16-valve 1100's.
    Since I have a 1980 GS1100ET, I am wondering is this is only a "nice" upgrade to do, or a "good preventive" upgrade that eventually should be done.
    BTW this bike will not be drag raced, etc.... simply a ride to enjoy on the street ... "reasonably".
    If you're going to use the bike in "normal" conditions and not drag it, it is unlikely you'll ever twist a crank. About the only time it happens is severe duty or possibly an extremely high RPM missed gear (speed shift).

Comment

Wouldn't worry about it at all, odds are greatly in your favor. One of my "80" 1100 E's had over 50,000 mi of very hard abuse & never twisted.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Mine in one of my 1000s was twisted:

I put in another one and had it welded:

It must have been enough of a problem for Suzuki to start welding them.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

That is quite a twist there Bruce. Had to be a sick feeling when it let go.

Comment

Having a twisted crank in no way to go through life..

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
              Having a twisted crank in no way to go through life..
              Some girl riders don't mind.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                That is quite a twist there Bruce. Had to be a sick feeling when it let go.
                I didn't do it. It was in the motor of my current project. I had just spit the cases with the intention of welding the crank anyway.
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

the press fit got better on the 16v. models.
                  a twisted 16v. crank is very uncommon.
                  but.......
                  breaking the crank snout off at the main bearing behind the starter clutch gear does happen from time to time on the 80-82 1100 16v. engines.
                  i have went to do starter clutch repairs on bikes for 2 different customers and when i pulled the stator cover the rotor and all of the S/C assy. came off with it.
                  to repair these bikes would not have been a cheap thing so i ended up buying these for very little money.
                  circa early 90's.

Comment

I used an 80 GS1100 16 valve crank and beat the snot out of it. Put around 15K miles on it. It was true when removed.
                    If it was going to twist it should've with me on it. Three-hundred pounds, a big block and a heavy throttle hand. Even blew the top end twice.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                      Mine in one of my 1000s was twisted:

I put in another one and had it welded:

It must have been enough of a problem for Suzuki to start welding them.
                      Your crank seal is in backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                        Your crank seal is in backwards.
                        good catch gearhead!!!
                        to install the seal properly it will look backwards...the little pads go against the main bearing.

Comment

He found that out after mating the cases and since has changed it.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                            He found that out after mating the cases and since has changed it.
                            uhuh surrreeeeee he has

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                              uhuh surrreeeeee he has
                              Si said blind man

Comment

Working...
                              X