Ignition coil changing wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition coil changing wires

Sorry to ask but I want to change my spark plug connections, as you can see on the pictures these are an awfull green color.

The problem is I can't get this sort of resin off the coil, any trick to do it ?

Looks like an aftermarket epoxy to me. Hope it isn't down in the hole where the wires go (there is a spike in there that goes up the middle of them to create the connection).

If it does go up inside you'll never get the wire out. Only way I know to get rid if epoxy is to cut or grind it. (Maybe a bit of careful work with a dremel?)

When I did mine on the 1000g a couple of years back I ended up with 1 wire that just wouldn't come out & so one coil was trash. I still have the other one with no wires in it. It works but needs the power leads soldering/lengthening as I cut the connectors of it to use on the Dyna coils I replaced them with. If you end up in the same "1 coil" situation as me then give me a shout...

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks for your experiance, so I guess I'm better off painting the cables because I don't want to ruin a coil and then have to order a new one.

My electrics work great and seing the plugs and cables if I begin changing one part then the rest will follow which may end up badly so I don't want to do that unless necessary.

I will change the connection caps on the spark plugs because I absolutelly don't understand how they could made a correct contact, these are very strange size and shape.

Comment

NGK makes splices for plug wires, part #J18083.

Comment

Thanks for this but I'm living in switzerland and you wouldn't believe how difficult it can sometimes be to find hardware like that.
          Will see at my local shop if they have something similar, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Djairouks View Post
            I want to change my spark plug connections, .......these are an awfull green color. The problem is I can't get this sort of resin off the coil, any trick to do it ?
            If you just want to hide the green colour, remove the cap at the spark plug end and push a piece of black heat-shrink tubing over the spark plug wire. Refit the plug cap, and heat the tubing evenly to shrink it neatly around the wire.
            1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Thanks verry smart trick and we have tons of heat-shrink tubing where I work, though I think I will change cable and cap, because everything is green and I'm not sure about the connectors doing a correct contact anyway.

Thanks to all replies, cheers !

Comment

Working...
              X