anybody know what acontrol module for the dash is? gs1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody know what acontrol module for the dash is? gs1150

this thread shows my recently purchased gs1150. the seller claims there is a dash control module for that is bad. does anyone know what his part is? i tried looking it up on Bike Bandit with no luck.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2010, 07:42 PM.

i think its the one over the carbs mounted in rubber and hooks to the frame.
    is this correct???

Comment

I think you are right , It is under the left hand frame cover near the tank, I think. Although the manual says it's on the right.
      it runs the warning lamps for burnt out lights and stuff.
      FYI...If you unplug it and remove it the harness plugs mate with each other, but of course It wouldn't be that easy, because the lights won't work then.
      I forget how I did it exactly, it couldn't have been very difficult, I know I cut the pugs off and soldered the wires.
      I seem to remember the colour code either not matching between harness plugs or not matching when I was finished. (must of been 15 yrs ago) My bike no longer has one. No warning lamps work now other than oil pressure, side stand and hi-beam indicator.
      If this is the thing , suzuki calls it a "Monitor System" and refers to the module as a "check panel control unit"
      Last edited by derwood; 03-04-2010, 10:08 PM.
      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

thanks for the answers. i was looking in the wrong place for it.

Comment

Just wondering why you think it's bad? Is it just what the previous owner told you? From what I've seen & heard, 1150's give trouble with their "idiot" lights. Not necessarily a problem with the part you are looking for. I've heard a lot of different ways of fixing them, but nothing I tried fixed mine, finally removed the bulbs for I think, the headlight, taillight, & don't remember the other. Just my opinion
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

There are a few of us with illuminated idiot lights. Mine seems to be the Tail / Stop lamp indicators. With all the discussion on poor frame grounds and voltage drops in old wire harnesses it would not surprise me it it was something like that causing the lights to come on.

If I knew someone with a 1150/1100 I would entertain swapping out the modules to see if my problem follows the module.
            Last edited by bonanzadave; 03-05-2010, 10:52 AM.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
              I think you are right , It is under the left hand frame cover near the tank, I think. Although the manual says it's on the right.
              it runs the warning lamps for burnt out lights and stuff.
              FYI...If you unplug it and remove it the harness plugs mate with each other, but of course It wouldn't be that easy, because the lights won't work then.
              I forget how I did it exactly, it couldn't have been very difficult, I know I cut the pugs off and soldered the wires.
              I seem to remember the colour code either not matching between harness plugs or not matching when I was finished. (must of been 15 yrs ago) My bike no longer has one. No warning lamps work now other than oil pressure, side stand and hi-beam indicator.
              If this is the thing , suzuki calls it a "Monitor System" and refers to the module as a "check panel control unit"

anyone have a pic or schematic showing the location? i can't find it on "bike bandit"
              thanks

Comment

Hi Wes
                Here's a link I found when I was fixing the problem on my 1150.
                This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

The monitor is located under the tank and directly above the right hand outboard carb.

I removed the old monitor, but didn't do all the soldering as suggested in the original post. I wanted to be able to fit up a new monitor before on selling the bike at a later date. Read what I did to enable this choice.

I bought a new monitor and have stored it. I decided to do this while they are still available.
                The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

how important is this "check panel control unit"?

Comment

Originally posted by smokienutz View Post
                    how important is this "check panel control unit"?
                    Your bike wont run without it. Thats how important. Unless you rewire the whole thing.

Problem is those things are REDICULOUSLY expensive...

Comment

does the "check panel control unit" have a different name? like a street name. lol sounds funny but trying to relate to what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by smokienutz View Post
                        does the "check panel control unit" have a different name? like a street name. lol sounds funny but trying to relate to what it is.
                        Hrmmm.. How bout "That big ass black box under your tank with the two plugs coming out of it... " does that work? Dunno if yours had it or not?? I think the 80-81 1100E did, and the 82-831100s did, 1150. so on..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                          Hrmmm.. How bout "That big ass black box under your tank with the two plugs coming out of it... " does that work? Dunno if yours had it or not?? I think the 80-81 1100E did, and the 82-831100s did, 1150. so on..
                          lol i have a small box w/ 1 plug coming from it under my tank. i'll look harder at it.

Comment

Good NEWS. i found the right/correct diagram lol. and my bike doesn't have a control monitoring unit.

Comment

Working...
                            X