Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil drain plug question

Hey all,

Another question (I know theirs been alot what can I say its almost spring and I want the bike to be ready!).

So today I decided to do the most basic of tasks, an oil change. Started off great (following basscliff's tutorials as always), drained the oil, pulled out the oil filter cover, new filter, new o-ring, its all good etc.

At this point, I tightly screw on teh oil filter cover and loosely screw on drain nut. I then fill up oil and in my stupidity overfill. No big deal, just drain out the extra half quart or so, while hovering the drain nut right over the thread hole, then putting it back in right as the oil was at the appropriate level. Then I hand tightened the drain nut for a decent amount (it went in smooth fairly certain it didn't cross thread), then proceeded to tighten it with a socket. So I tighten (not that much) then very awkwardly suddenly theirs no more pressure and the nut is loose again. Confused, I check it out its very loose?!?! I hand tighten again, bring the socket, tighten...tighten....and AGAIN it suddenly becomes loose?!

Clearly there is problem with nut or the threads. Ok some things I noticed that may help with diagnosing the problem:
    1) when i initially took out the drain nut (at the very beginning of the whole oil change) it was VERY loose. I remember thinking its a good thing I'm doing this now before it rattled out and leaked all my oil out and seized my engine.

2) Their was an orange thread all over the drain nut the the PO had put on there. It was soft, and was literally wrapped around all around the threads of the nut. I have no idea what it is, I'm going to try n borrow a friends camera and take a picture of it. I pulled it off before I put the nut back in, not sure why but it was kinda raggedy on there.

I figure my problem is either in the nut or the threads of the oil pan: if its the oil pan I can either get one from ebay or get a new thread machined in.

And i'm guessin I shouldn't be riding this on the "loose" nut until this is resolved right? Its killing me...I got the bike (my first ever) in Nov, I live in NY and for the first time this week its going to be in the 60's and my first ever chance to ride without being cold

You can get another oil pan off of Ebay. The threads on the pan are gone.
    or
    You can buy self tapping oil plugs.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You can get an oversized drain plug at any decent auto parts store - take in the old one and ask for a self tapping oversized drain plug. Failing that, the sump cover can be threaded for a Helicoil, or get a new oil pan off ebay.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have installed oversize plugs on two different bikes with very good results.

Got the plugs at Auto Zone, they are back in the corner, next to the oil and filters. I believe it's a 14 x 1.25 plug in a +1 oversize.

I should pass on a warning, though, it's prohibitively expensive. I think it was $2.25 for the plug.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Recently had the same thing happen to me .
          Coming back from Phillip Island GP last year , had a Suzuki dealer do an oil change for me . When I dropped the oil this time , I find the thread is stripped and glued back in . As soon as I cracked the drain plug , it dropped out .
          I removed the sump pan and fitted a spark plug repair kit .Nobody around here had heard of oversized sump plugs . It's an oversized tube (bizzo) threaded inside and out (same like helicoil but different). Tapped the hole with the tap that is in the kit , thread lock and screwed the bizzo in . I put the bizzo in the wrong way around (it has a lip that normally goes to the outside so it wont screw into the barrel) so that it can't screw out of the pan . Job done .
          Cheers ,Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
            Recently had the same thing happen to me .
            Coming back from Phillip Island GP last year , had a Suzuki dealer do an oil change for me . When I dropped the oil this time , I find the thread is stripped and glued back in . As soon as I cracked the drain plug , it dropped out .
            I removed the sump pan and fitted a spark plug repair kit .Nobody around here had heard of oversized sump plugs . It's an oversized tube (bizzo) threaded inside and out (same like helicoil but different). Tapped the hole with the tap that is in the kit , thread lock and screwed the bizzo in . I put the bizzo in the wrong way around (it has a lip that normally goes to the outside so it wont screw into the barrel) so that it can't screw out of the pan . Job done .
            Cheers ,Simon .
            Here we have Bozos like the ones at your Zook Stealership.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I have installed oversize plugs on two different bikes with very good results.

Got the plugs at Auto Zone, they are back in the corner, next to the oil and filters. I believe it's a 14 x 1.25 plug in a +1 oversize.

I should pass on a warning, though, it's prohibitively expensive. I think it was $2.25 for the plug.

hmm ok perfect i'll give this a shot. To do this properly would require taking the oil pan off the bike though right?

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Hahahahahaha . I knew there was a reason why I voted for you .

It's best to take the pan out so you don't get any shavings in your ingine .
                Cheers , Simon .
                Last edited by simon kuether; 03-16-2010, 01:42 AM.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                  Hahahahahaha . I knew there was a reason why I voted for you .

It's best to take the pan out so you don't get any shavings in your ingine .
                  Cheers , Simon .
                  I thought they were all mine. The site wouldn't let me have more than fourteen accounts.

Comment

I did the oversize self threading plug, no problems at all. No need to pull the exhaust and pan, go through all that extra work. Just grease the threads of the plug so it'll pull any shavings out with it. Screw the oversized plug in, (make sure it's going in straight and square), and after you've bottomed it, back it out again, clean the threads off and reinstall the oversize plug. You won't have to pull the pan for a long time.
                    Make sure you get the metric oversize though, I think it's a 14 mm if I remember right.

Comment

ok got the new nut - only one problem auto zone didn't have the exact size Steve mentioned. I got a m14 x 1.50...it looks like it'll be the same width just the nut is quite a bit longer then the factory nut. Will this be ok?

Comment

That should work just fine. I put the same length in mine.

Comment

Clowns

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          Bill, I'll bet the guys we've got up here could give 'em a 'run for their money'. I wouldn't let them touch my bike!
                          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                            That should work just fine. I put the same length in mine.
                            beautiful worked like a charm thanks so much guys

-Juzar

Comment

Originally posted by doconabike View Post
                              ok got the new nut - only one problem auto zone didn't have the exact size Steve mentioned. I got a m14 x 1.50...it looks like it'll be the same width just the nut is quite a bit longer then the factory nut. Will this be ok?
                              That's probably the correct one. I probably mis-remembered the pitch.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X