No announcement yet.

how do I make my carbs show quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow; I started this thread thinking there is no hope for my carbs. But now looking at the results; I'm stunned. I think I will try to beedblast the carbs, because I'm not too sure about painting them; I'm worried about the paint comming off as soon as some gas hits it. Also some of the carbs like the BS carbs have a lot of hidden corrners where a polishing tool will have a hard time to get the even coat of plish; This is why I think the bead blasting sound good, it sounds like it will be an even finish; but how do I keep from corroding, do the original carbs from the factory have some paint on them or some kind of a coating???? Also where can I get that zinc kit and how much do they cost??? I'm very happy with other members carb results and I can't wait do my carbs......

Comment

I soaked the ones from the 1k in Barrymans for a few days. They were bad.
      Polished the bowls and the tops. Turned out pretty good as far as looks.
      Still dont have an assembled bike to test em on though

Only had to soak the CV's from the 850 for a day. Then polished..

sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I'm in awe... you guys do awesome work!

Comment

I just ordered the zinc plating kit. I can't wait to do my carb now. I plan to bead blast the bodies; but how do you clean the small pasages. I heard that ultrasonic cleaners work, does anyone have experience with ultrasonic cleaners. I would like to know how to get junk out of the small pasages.

Comment

i have an ultrasonic cleaning bath and it cleans carbs up like brand new
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I've never used ultrasonic cleaners for carbs but I do know that carb dip works well. Take the carb apart, all but the throttle shaft, and dip over night (or longer if necessary) until all the passages are clean.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

what kind of ultrasonic bath do you have, My friend bought one of ebay and said it works like crap but he got it for $80 so I think he got some cheep made in china stuff. I have heard that the good ultrasonic cleaners work well but I don't know anyone who has one can say what model works well from experience, there is a lot of info out there about them but no real experience with them. So it would be nice to know who uses what cleaner and how good the results are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  I've never used ultrasonic cleaners for carbs but I do know that carb dip works well. Take the carb apart, all but the throttle shaft, and dip over night (or longer if necessary) until all the passages are clean.
                  I have used the carb dip but man that stuff almost took my nose right of my face. I got one good wiff of that and I was high for months, I still have flashbacks whenever I smell a slight hint of anything similar to carb dib. I use carb spay all the time; but the real non deluted carb dip is cancer in a can and a whole different beast compared to carb spray; But it does work magic cleaning to the small pasages.

everytime I smell that stuff I

Comment

Working...
                  X