Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel/Air screws on 79 GS750 carbs

Gentlemen (and Ladies)
    I know this has been covered before, but I can't find it for my bike specifically so I'll ask humbly for assistance.
    On my '79 GS750E (N) carbs there are two adjustment screws. One is underneath the float bowl, more or less surrounded by it and on the engine side of the throttle slide. The other is on the airfilter side of the throttle slide and above the bore (much more easily accessible). I did a carb rebuild and tried to put the new screws back exactly as the old ones were (I replaced both screws on each carb), but I must have gotten the number of turns wrong. Can one of you more experienced people please tell me which screw does what and how many turns are required for the adjustment? Does one turn equal a full 360 degrees? Is there ever going to be a carb rebuild series for the non-CV type carb?
    Any help will be much appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Harrison

Use the search feature to find post about carb settings. I think earlfor has posted the best info on this subject, so be sure and read what he posts. Here is an example:

He has written much more on this subject that you should be able to find by using the search. Good luck.

Terry

Comment

On my 79 750EN with stock airbox, stock original pipes/mufflers and carb jet sizes, I have my fuel pilots set to 1 1/2 turns out (that would be 540 deg of rotation) :-) and I have my airscrews two turns out (720 deg rotation)

Earl
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Earl says:

I have my fuel pilots set to 1 1/2 turns out (that would be 540 deg of rotation) and I have my airscrews two turns out (720 deg rotation)
        I'm not too familiar with this "degree" stuff, Earl. Do you think you could give it to me in "mils" instead?
        Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
        "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
        1982 GS1100E
        1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Wouldn't that depend on the pitch of the screw as it's entering the orifice??

Comment

Oh, I'm gonna give it to you all right Ron. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by frosty5011
            I'm not too familiar with this "degree" stuff, Earl. Do you think you could give it to me in "mils" instead?

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thank you both, Earl and Terry.
              However I am not sure which screw is which. I believe the fuel/pilot screw is the one underneath and on the engine side of the carbs. I've got 110 main jets and a stock airbox and filter but a 4-into-1 V&H exhaust.

Harrison

Comment

I reviewed the source that Terry gave me and what Earl wrote there differs with what he wrote just today. Maybe I oughta spend the $833 that Mikuni wants for a set of RS carbs jetted to my bike or send the carbs out to Motorcyclecarbs.com for a rebuild at a little over half the cost of new ones. It's just that I'm losing riding time and it hurts.

Harrison

Comment

My carb settings have been an ongoing process. I've been using the settings I gave for the last 10,000 miles or so. They are for a completely stock setup.
                  I would be surprised if they were correct for the way your bike is configured.

Earl

Originally posted by Harrison Clement
                  I reviewed the source that Terry gave me and what Earl wrote there differs with what he wrote just today. Maybe I oughta spend the $833 that Mikuni wants for a set of RS carbs jetted to my bike or send the carbs out to Motorcyclecarbs.com for a rebuild at a little over half the cost of new ones. It's just that I'm losing riding time and it hurts.

Harrison

Comment

Re: Fuel/Air screws on 79 GS750 carbs

Originally posted by Harrison Clement
                    Gentlemen (and Ladies)
                    I know this has been covered before, but I can't find it for my bike specifically so I'll ask humbly for assistance.
                    On my '79 GS750E (N) carbs there are two adjustment screws. One is underneath the float bowl, more or less surrounded by it and on the engine side of the throttle slide. The other is on the airfilter side of the throttle slide and above the bore (much more easily accessible). I did a carb rebuild and tried to put the new screws back exactly as the old ones were (I replaced both screws on each carb), but I must have gotten the number of turns wrong. Can one of you more experienced people please tell me which screw does what and how many turns are required for the adjustment? Does one turn equal a full 360 degrees? Is there ever going to be a carb rebuild series for the non-CV type carb?
                    Any help will be much appreciated.
                    Thank you,
                    Harrison
                    The pilot screw is the one underneath and engine side of the floatbowl. To richen this screw you turn it OUT(counter-clockwise). Make sure you never seat these tightly, the tips can break off. The factory sets these with an emissions analyzer, you cannot re-set them exactly. They will come from the factory set differently from each other. There is no single factory setting. These are for fine tuning to allow for the differences in cylinders. They are generally out between 3/4-1 1/2, but that is just generally. You have to adjust and test.
                    The side air screws. To allow less air(richen) you turn these IN(clockwise). These are also set at the factory but are not quite as sensitive as the pilots. To set these, run the engine at normal operating temp and adjust all 4 to achieve the highest idle possible. Adjusting 2 at a time in 1/2 turn increments is easiest to hear the rpm's. After achieving highest idle, re-set the idle with the idle knob/screw. These are also intended to temporarily fine tune if you are riding in different elevations or large temperature changes. And yes, 1 turn is 360 degrees.
                    You may not have to re-jet just for the pipe. You have to test and do what the plugs say.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                    X