82 850G Starting Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
    Plus check you've got your plug leads going to the right plugs.
    Have you checked this yet?

I know you turned it on prime for 30-60 seconds, but did you check and see if you have fuel in the float bowls.

you also may want to make up a tool to check the fuel level(s) externally.

edit... what is your outside air temp at?
    Last edited by rustybronco; 03-25-2010, 09:42 AM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
      Have you checked this yet?

I know you turned it on prime for 30-60 seconds, but did you check and see if you have fuel in the float bowls.

you also may want to make up a tool to check the fuel level(s) externally.

edit... what is your outside air temp at?
      Yes, my plugs leads are right.
      I drained all the float bowls, and reprimed them. This allowed me to prove there was fuel in the bowls, and witness the fuel flowing into them when I reprimed them.

I have not built the external fuel level tool.

My temp is about 10C (50F). (heated garage)

I managed to get a couple of little burps from it last night, which is the most success I've had in a week.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerMonger View Post
        My temp is about 10C (50F). (heated garage)

I managed to get a couple of little burps from it last night, which is the most success I've had in a week.
        Every (well almost) correctly timed engine that I have worked on, if it had "sufficient" spark, in the correct order and you added fuel to the combustion chamber it would fire.

check and see if the negative sides of the coils are connected correctly.

have you taken any compression readings as of yet? if so, what were they?

how well did it run last year? did it keep running on it's own?

do you have a timing light?

if needed, we will go onto checking the cam timing.

Comment

I've taken the connections off, cleaned them, and put them back on.
          I have only done the 'finger' test for compression, no readings.
          It ran like crap last year, but did keep running on it's own.
          I don't have a timing light.

I appreciate the help thru start-up. It's been a fun project, but would be more fun with a running engine.

I did a visual inspection only of the air filter, I didn't clean it, because it didn't look bad. How should i clean this? I've never done it before and I've read about different approaches and chemicals.

Comment

I'm embarrassed.

The bike just back fired twice after grocery shopping. So I swapped plug wires 1&4 with 2&3. It fired up immediately. I'M SUPER STOKED!!!
            This is my first build ever, and it feels very satisfying to have a running engine after tinkering with it over the winter. Thanks for your help and suggestions. I still have a long road in front of me, but I have a running engine!

Comment

It's always the little things that drive you nuts
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Sounds good, glad you got it running.

Now, ... are your coils wired "normally"? Usually, the left coil fires 1&4, the right coil fires 2&3.
                Sometimes, a previous owner will have them removed for some reason and put them up backwards.

If they are not "normal", you might want to change them, just to make it easier for later work.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  check and see if the negative sides of the coils are connected correctly.
                  That was the reason for the question. now double check the coil ground wire wire colours and get those plug wires on there respective cylinder.

GLAD you got it running.

Comment

Thanks guys, yes, the coils are aftermarket, and they are swapped left and right. I will return them to stock position as suggested.

The way I buggered it up was by following the wiring of my 650 as an example. There are 2 styles of plug caps: one has a long shaft which has a sharp angle (100 degrees), and other style has a stubby shaft with a more relaxed angle (120 degrees).

On which cylinders should the spark plug caps with the long shaft be located?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Sounds good, glad you got it running.

Now, ... are your coils wired "normally"? Usually, the left coil fires 1&4, the right coil fires 2&3.
                      Sometimes, a previous owner will have them removed for some reason and put them up backwards.

If they are not "normal", you might want to change them, just to make it easier for later work.

I've been creeping this thread and I have a question... if I am seated on the bike looking forward (as opposed to seated backwards on the bike ), which cylinder is #1 - on the right or left? Also, which coil fires which cylinders?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Number 1 cylinder is on the left. (clutch hand side as it were)

for 1&4 coil, the negative side of the coil colour is>>> White
                        for 2&3 coil, the negative side of the coil colour is >>> Black/yellow

Comment

try to check the voltage supply at the coils during cranking ..... i am curently experiancing the same thing ...... and as soon as the rain stops im going to try the verry samething .........

disconect the neg conection to the coils..... conect the multimeter ground conect to the neg term of the batt..... the pos term of the meter to the pos term of the coil..... crank the bike and see what the voltage is...

in my case i have a sneeky susp that the coils are not geting enough voltage during cranking to start the bike .....

Comment

Working...
                          X