crash, now forks dive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crash, now forks dive

Hi, just got the bike running almost right, went into a turn, leaned, panicked and ended up going into a ditch, then out of a ditch and then things go kinda foggy. Before the crash, the front forks felt nice and firm, now they feel rather squishy and VERY soft. I can almost bottom them out just by leaning on them. Is this a sign for new seals or did I break something else.
    Thank you for any information you can give.

I fear for your life. While you're fixing the bike, take some time to look up the MSF course in your area. I guarantee (I will mail you a check for $5 if you don't agree, after taking the class) it will help you IMMENSELY. RJ

Comment

more info would be helpful. such as what year and model bike you have.

Comment

Originally posted by omaharj View Post
        I fear for your life. While you're fixing the bike, take some time to look up the MSF course in your area. I guarantee (I will mail you a check for $5 if you don't agree, after taking the class) it will help you IMMENSELY. RJ
        +1, fork dive is the least of your problems.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Glad you're safe!

I'd guess something besides the seals needs looking at, maybe pushed out all the fork oil? While you're in there, might want to just upgrade to progressive springs?

Comment

Are the forks oily?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

+1 on wanting more info about the bike

and +1 on thinking an MSF course is a good idea.

Comment

sorry, its a 1981 gs 1000, the forks dont have any oil on them, they are dry.

Im going to the safty course as soon as one opens in my area.

Comment

Does that year have the "air assist" front fork? You know, pressurized forks.

Comment

yes it does have the air assist
                    jeez, i wish i would have put ALL the information in the description. Sorry.
                    Thanks for your patience
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by youstolemybeer View Post
                      yes it does have the air assist
                      jeez, i wish i would have put ALL the information in the description. Sorry.
                      Thanks for your patience
                      Steve
                      Easy enough to see if theres any air pressure. Put a low pressure air gauge on each fork. My `78 says it should be 11 to 14 lbs in each I believe.

Comment

If there is no oil in the forks, thats your first problem. The oil is necessary and VERY VERY important. Also, that both forks have the exact same amount of oil is VERY VERY important. Id suggest you get a shop manual as well. This will tell you all you need to know about them. Comparitively speaking, the forks in your bike are fairly simple, and easy to work on. Changing fork seals, springs and adding fork oil is pretty easy once you set to it, but it sounds daunting, and is the biggest reason people neglect their forks. Its not completely unheard of for people to have a bike thats NEVER had the oil changed, let alone seals and springs replaced. If you wrecked the bike hard, Id suggest you immediately disassemble the front end, and once you're absolutely sure the forks are good, as in not tweaked or bent in any way, rebuild them. New seals, new PROGRESSIVE springs, and new oil. It will make the bike feel 84759849584 times better. Its not just a comfort or handling thing, its a SAFETY issue. Please take care of it and yourself, before you take the bike out again.

TCK

Comment

thank you.
                          my punch down list
                          1 replace handlebars
                          2 replace all busted up lights
                          3 rebuild forks (got the shop manual and after looking at it and the info on the web, it looks kind of scary to do, but not impossible)

Im calling the community college monday to see when the next safety course is.
                          Thanks again
                          steve

Comment

sorry, forgot to put in, there is no oil in the forks, I guess when it landed it squished out all the oil, or at least the majority of it. I checked it when I first got the bike and I could see it.
                            Steve

Comment

Unless you have really horrible, virtually non-existent, seals there is no way all the oil was pushed out. If that was the case you would have seen oil on the forks everytime they went through their stroke. The oil just never was in the forks which led to your instability.

Comment

Working...
                              X