oil cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil cooler

There is a 1982 GS1100e on CL in the Dallas area I'm going to call the guy tomorrow and maybe go look at but I want one question answered first. He says the oil cooler is missing and I can't find a picture in the parts suppliers of an oil cooler on a stock GS1100e.

Did they all have oil coolers in 1982? Was it an aftermarket add or an option and if so could I just plug the holes and run it?

I have some bikes I need to get rid of before I buy another one so I'm willing to let this one get away. But it looks like a great price for a pretty good bike. Here's the ad that describes the missing stuff and has pictures.

So, anyone? What about the oil cooler?

NOT stock.. none of the 1100Es had one stock. Everyone that you see is either an 1150 conversion, or an aftermarket cooler. HOWEVER, the block is plummed for use with an oil cooler (which makes it especially easy to hook up an 1150 cooler)

Comment

That one looks pretty darned good, jump on it. I don't know if they even came with an oil cooler. That engine is basically the same as the earlier 1100E which had none, so it should be OK without the cooler. The later ones needed it, they have less cooling fins I believe, sort of a partly oil cooled motor...
      And, I have a cooler you can modify to fit if you need it.

I predict Christine will soon be up for sale.
      Dibs!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryA_Texas View Post
        Did they all have oil coolers in 1982? Was it an aftermarket add or an option and if so could I just plug the holes and run it?
        So, anyone? What about the oil cooler?
        He most likely used an 1150 oil filter cover to divert oil through the cooler....on the stock '82s the factory provided outlets were plugged, so the stock filter cover worked fine. If he has recently taken off the cooler, make sure the filter cover has been swapped back to the stock '82 item, to avoid a toasty motor.
        The other option is to buy an 1150 cooler and lines to replace the one he sold. Looks like a pretty good price, if it's a mechanically sound bike....even after adding the price of a paint job to get all the pieces colour matched.
        Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          That one looks pretty darned good, jump on it. I don't know if they even came with an oil cooler. That engine is basically the same as the earlier 1100E which had none, so it should be OK without the cooler. The later ones needed it, they have less cooling fins I believe, sort of a partly oil cooled motor...
          And, I have a cooler you can modify to fit if you need it.

I predict Christine will soon be up for sale.
          Dibs!

Not Chrissy. But I did send an email then called the guy and left a message. Some other GSer is probably already over there.

Thanks to everyone responding about the oil cooler. I'll find one or plug the holes if I get it.

Comment

Working...
          X