Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally engine start... Ack what's that noise?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally engine start... Ack what's that noise?!?

Finally got my bike to start... CLACKY-CLACKY-CLACKY! Ack! It's coming from the valvetrain area, and I couldn't bring myself to do anything but shut off quick! Was afraid I'd damage it (if I hadn't already). I did notice the cam chain tensioner was moving (knob twisting) with every clack. What the he(double hockey sticks) is going on here? Anyone got a clue? I'm desperate for a ride but I don't wanna wreck my baby. I adjusted the valves this winter, and removed the cam chain tensioner assembly, but I remembered to tighten all the locknuts on the adjusters, and installed the tensioner correctly, that's all I did. Help!

Sounds like maybe the tesioner was not installed correctly. Check it again. If its looking good, you may want to pull the valve/cam cover and check the tension of your cam chain. Maybe its not on the sprocket.....Good luck.

P.S. Or maybe even worse (sorry) there is a shim or two floating around in the upper end.

Comment

Fortunately no shims to float around, my bike has threaded adjusters. I'll go play around with my tensioner, if that doesn't do it maybe I'll turn the engine over with the valve cover off and see what I see.

Comment

Would an extended period without running cause this? I never let it run more that about 10 seconds, maybe there isn't any oil in the top end? It's been about one year since this thing has run. I turned it over with the valvecover off and the camshafts looked pretty dry. When they depress the valves and any sort of speed other than turning over by hand, they kinda clack away... even letting the starter turn it over leads to clackey- clackey. Chain tension is right on, but the chain jumps around a bit when I turn it over with the starter (1/8 inch up and down. I'm gonna sit inside a bit, it's too hot out there today. 30 C Any other gearheads out there got suggestions?

Comment

I don't think the valves could be striking the pistons, because that would mean that the camchain had moved in relation to the position it should be on the camshaft yes? When I cleaned up and put my tensioner assembly back on, the engine was not turned at all, so I don't see how that could happen. I would also think if the valves contacted pistons that it would be a little more devastating, final sort of sound. Ack, I'm gonna just go play a game for a little while, come back and see if anyone has ideas.

Comment

Hi Paul,
            My bike makes a bad noise like your once in a while. I just grab the cam tensioner and crank it clockwise until it shuts up. Try turning your bike over with your hand holding the tensioner tight.

If you think you have a lack of upper lubrication you can dump oil over the valve train too. There's no reason you shouldn't, the oil will just join the rest of it in the bottom of your engine.

Now to my problem What oil capacity and level are we supposed to put in our forks? I yanked mine off since I won't have a rectifier for two weeks or so. Thanks for the help, also, could you tell me the ISBN on your tech manual? I have the wrong book.

Thanks, Steve

Comment

Re: Finally engine start... Ack what's that noise?!?

Paul

I have a 79 model 750 and it has an automatic adjusting cam
              tensioner. I suspect your bike being an 82 would also be automatic. To set my cam chain adjuster, It must be removed, the plunger depressed fully and locked down, Then while locked down, it is bolted back onto the engine. To release it ant auto set it, you turn the lock nut 1/4 turn to release the plunger. Then retighten the locknut to hold the setting. You do not want to push on the tensioner plunger as it will not set that way. (I'm assuming your cam chain tensioner works the same as mine does) Other than that the only thing I can think of that would cause a clatter is a loose cam sprocket. I probably would remove the valvecover and while being able to look at the cam chain, set the tensioner. check the cam sprocket bolts and when done, pull the plugs and spin it over with the starter a few times to make sure everything is kosher. Then put the valve cover back on. Putting some oil on the cam lobes if it has been sitting long enough that they are dry is also a good idea.

Earl

Originally posted by Paul Letby
              Finally got my bike to start... CLACKY-CLACKY-CLACKY! Ack! It's coming from the valvetrain area, and I couldn't bring myself to do anything but shut off quick! Was afraid I'd damage it (if I hadn't already). I did notice the cam chain tensioner was moving (knob twisting) with every clack. What the he(double hockey sticks) is going on here? Anyone got a clue? I'm desperate for a ride but I don't wanna wreck my baby. I adjusted the valves this winter, and removed the cam chain tensioner assembly, but I remembered to tighten all the locknuts on the adjusters, and installed the tensioner correctly, that's all I did. Help!
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Okay, finally got time to work on my bike again, but it's freaky hot again! 34 C. I changed the oil, pouring my first litre in through the valvetrain to get it good and gooped up. Put it all back together, fired it up and it still clanks. I also noticed that it's only on one (of two) cylinders! Crappy. I'm getting good spark both sides so I guess it's a fuel problem (oh GREAT, I just put it all back together again!) I have never cleaned the carbs on this thing, and shudder at the thought of buying MORE parts. Can I take my carbs apart, clean them and put them back together without a load of o-rings, gaskets and other assorted bits? Am I going to be down another weekend? Ack! Once I get it running on both cylinders I'll address the clancky noise, perhaps it's causing the noise in the first place.

Comment

srivett I have a silly mostly useless haynes manual that talks about too many different types of 250 - 450 cc GS's. The ISBN is 1 85010 253 8. Our bike is not often referred to and is mostly described in the back under the UK GSX 400Ez, though our bike isn't totally like that one either. It's like whoever wrote it never bothered to look at the Canadian version, which is a combination of the US. and UK bikes. Ack very confusing- especially the wiring harness! :x Fork oil for GSX 400Ez is 178 cc (6 US fl oz) oil level is 131 mm or 5.2 inches, or, under the US section Fork oil for all models other than 250's is 150 cc with no level given. Stupid isn't it? :roll:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in the last post that the cam chain tensioner is happy now, and so is the chain. No more hopping around. Still clanky, single cylinder firing, stinky new exhaust pipes (black coated). The smell stuck to me and I reek! Ack, I just want to ride....

Comment

Hi Paul,
                    I found a guy on the GSResources that has a raft of o-rings. I don't know if they are the right type but I figure they might be.

Just ask him what he thinks.

Steve

Comment

So Paul, what did you find to be the cause of the noise?

Earl
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
                        Hi Paul,
                        I found a guy on the GSResources that has a raft of o-rings. I don't know if they are the right type but I figure they might be.

Just ask him what he thinks.

Steve

I just bought 2 sets of these and installed one set yesterday on a set of BS 32 SS carbs from a 84 GS 750 ES. They were right on. Robert Barr said that he checked these O rings out really well to be sure that gas wouldn't eat them up and I checked them as well. No problems. Didn't get the carbs onto the bike yet as it was July 4th and I had to ride a little and celebrate as well. I'll let you know.

Comment

Hi Paul,
                          I put 6oz of oil(apparantly 3/4s of a cup to us Canadians) and the bike handles fine. The depth measurement wasn't correct for the bike but I'm not too worried since I've put 300km on the bike without mishap. The other day I hit a pothole while merging onto a highway so hard my back tire came off the ground and the engine raced The forks barely felt it. I used non-detergent Castrol 30 oil.

Thanks for the info, Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X