Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suzuki GS 550 Wiring Diagram Needed (please help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS 550 Wiring Diagram Needed (please help)

Hello,
    I need help getting my gs 550 running. I found a wire that is not connected to anything, and think it may be part of the problem. Its a white wire with a blue line. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What year are we talking about?

I have a 77/78/79 GS550 schematic posted here:

The file is large enough to make a good quality print.

The white line with the blue tracer goes from the stator (alternator) to the rectifier unit.

Comment

Thanks!!! Its exactly what I needed, for a 79. Thanks a lot for all your help!!!!

Comment

Now that I know where the wire went, could that have effected if the bike gets spark while turning over, or make the start button not work? These are my two symtoms of my bike not running. The kill switch works, I rewired a new on on.

Comment

Damm, I just realized the diagram is for the points version. I should have wrote I need the E version, with the electronic ignition. Would you happen to have a diagram for the GS550E?

Comment

It would help if we knew where this wire was. Have you tried finding the other end of it?
            If it's back by the taillight, I doubt it's a stator wire. Conversely, if it's near the left handlebar, it's not a brake light wire.

Comment

I think ive figured out the problem...I had 2 wires going into one, should have just ran each of the yellows to each free wire. Everything seems right now, now i just need to figure out why I have no spark...

Comment

Where do the three yellow wires in the picture come from or go to? They aren't supposed to be there, unless they come from the stator. Some replacement stators have three yellow wires.

If the yellow wires come from the stator, the white/green wire should be connected to one of them, not the white/red wire, like in the picture.
                Swap the white/green and the white/yellow wire and everything should be perfect.

However, I don't see from the diagram how this could affect your ignition, points or electronic.
                There should be a spark, even with a disconnected stator. The battery alone supplies enough power to feed the ignition (at least for a while).

Do you measure any voltage on the orange wire that goes into the kill switch, or on the positive lead of the coils (kill switch in "on" or "run" position)? If not, that would explain the symptoms you described.

Comment

wiring diagram

will the diagram on this page work for my bike? it is a GS550LX 1981.

thanks in advance.

tb
                  austin, tx

Comment

Re: wiring diagram

Originally posted by austinringding
                    will the diagram on this page work for my bike? it is a GS550LX 1981.
                    I'm not sure. That diagram is for 77/78/79 types.

There are some 85 GS550 diagrams here: http://www.smokeriders.com/diagrams/

Comment

81 GS550L wiring diagram

can anyone help me out with this? bought a manual on ebay and it doesn't even have it in there.

trying to get the bike to turn over and need it pretty bad. bike has been sitting for 14 years!

tia,

tb
                      ausTX

Comment

Working...
                      X